New Pay Package

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by jande016, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    You're right. Just pisses me off. Even if it is Joseph.

Heading out for a Dos Equis and a bowl of Mexican soup and hopefully no TTR trapdoor opens up underneath me. Again. Wasted the whole afternoon. Got nothing done. Maybe gives HOAT something to think about. Dunno.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    HTLD was up over $25 during trading today and closed just under $25, $24.96.

Stock's very strong.

Interesting article about JB Hunt and on how debt can be double edged sword. Helpful in an upward moving economy, magnifies your losses in weak economy: http://seekingalpha.com/article/2525265-j-b-hunt-a-highly-levered-cash-machine

The saying I've heard is that Gerdin wants to be JB Hunt when HTLD grows up but without all the debt.

4. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Speculation on the Gerdin~Gordon Dialog Leading Up to Acquisition

HTLD closed at $25.32 today (Thursday, Oct 23, 2014). Continues very strong.

Just thinking about the discussions that led up to the acquisition. Hadn't thought that much about it before this. Then I picked up the October 2014 Inc magazine with an article on Marcus Lemonis. Lemonis has a reality series on CNBC called 'The Profit' where he buys into failing companies and turns them around, if possible.

Well, I don't watch TV so have never seen the program, yet it sounds interesting. Companies apply to the CNBC series hoping Lemonis will fix them. 40,000 firms have applied because Lemonis brings big $$ but the deal is, Lemonis takes control. When Lemonis describes his negotiation--these are real companies--I immediately thought about Gerdin~Gordon and aha!!

Here's what Lemonis says about his deals:

Look at those bullet points:

--Gordons definitely got a lucrative exit and out from under $150 million in debt, with Larry on the Board of Directors and his sons still actively involved in the business;

--Gordons are part of something more grand (well, larger) than Gordon alone and the riches from the increase in their Heartland stock has been like a rocket blast so far;

--Gordons had $150 million in debt and a 94% operating costs. Gerdin was larger (about 2,500 seats if I recall), had no debt and operating costs in the low 70's (I recall 72% but could be wrong. Too lazy to look it up tonight.) Who can't read that writing on the wall, eh?

Certainly the Gordons knew that if Gerdin targeted them, he could eat their lunch--undercut their accounts and take away their business. Face it, no debt, lower costs. Yes, he could roll right over them and they had to know it.

5. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Looks like you've hijacked this thread, Vic. Isn't this the same kind of stuff you put in your own thread? Maybe that's where it should go. Just sayin'

6. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Hi, Denali. I wondered where to put it, frankly. Right now in my thread I'm talking about health issues and didn't want to add this zig-zag. Health-Gordon-Health. Like to stay on the health issues. Nothing to do with Gordon, right now. Another possibility was one of the threads when Gordon was acquired.

This is the most recent active thread on Gordon, so it seemed appropriate here (to me). No one has posted here for a few days other than me. Another possibility was a new thread, but it's really just a stub, a thought rather than the start of a discussion.

But I did think about it, for what it's worth.

7. Stew209

Stew209 Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    Yes indeed. I haul reefer for them and this is the biggest issue. Most of the smaller companies will get you in and out fairly quickly while the large companies take their sweet time to unload us, and by the time were unloaded we have no time left for the day.
    Good thing is that most my runs are over 1000 miles and I stay out 4-7 weeks, so detention isn't that big a deal but more of an added bonus.

8. DenaliDad

That's what I was looking for when I asked for the reefer fleet. But I live in the wrong state. Buggah.

Stew209 Thanks this.
  9. Stew209

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    Im based out of the Lathrop, Ca terminal. I signed up for 48-state TC fleet but mostly run the mountain states with the occasional run to the Midwest.

10. DenaliDad

I'm in Western Michigan. They were consistent in their position that they couldn't get me home regularly. Crying and thrashing on the floor didn't help me.
    😅

11. Stew209

Mar 28, 2014
    Out in the Sticks
    Yeah the only terminal close to you would be Green Bay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.