New Pay Package

Discussion in 'Gordon' started by jande016, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Victor_V

Victor_V Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    My time does fly. 3 months, just like that.

Sarcasm aside, we hear ya.

No free tickets here, either.

You skirted the question why Joseph doesn't work for you anymore. Yes, I understand it was winter and freight was slow. For some. And some were actively starved out, trucks left in shop, etc. It was Gordon passing the pain on to the driver.

Had you laid him off, he could have at least collected some unemployment. After all. No, that would cost money, wouldn't it?

Do you not see the Jekyll-and-Hyde nature of being so desperate for drivers and then once you've got 'em, abusing them right and left? Granted, others are a lot worse. Fact is, Gordon was just a lot better at it. Masterful.

Why doesn't Joseph work for you any longer?

Really. Why.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HeartofaTrucker

HeartofaTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2013
    That isn't for me to answer. He already answered it. And I already said I had no idea.

4. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    You have no idea that a layoff where a driver can collect unemployment is not better than being starved with no miles somewhere in the middle of nowhere?

You have no idea that drivers lose their homes, cars, wives because of your unpredictable pay? Unpredictable miles. Unpredictable expenses.

There's a responsibility when you hire someone that the TL segment in particular abandons.

How many days is it 'okay' to let a driver sit on breakdown or just no miles?

How many days before in Christian charity (I'm not; Joseph even less.) do you need before you send the drivers you can't run home rather than just held in limbo in a small closet-sized space somewhere?

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    The question was, HOAT, why, when the company (GTI/Heartland) and me (Joseph) , who have similar goals and expectations, have parted ways. You would think someone who's entire life is based on "Learn how to work, kid" and a company who touts hard work and it's rewards would have similar goals (we do, make as much money as possible) would go together like peanut butter and jelly. What had happened? HOAT, who did not keep up their end of the bargain? The company? Me? Obviously I wasn't terminated. And the simple request of a working tractor and miles would've kept me there, and you guys would have one of Lessors' top drivers. Not that the last part matters, but im sure a professional, well spoken, safe, compliant hard worker would compliment your driver force just that much more, no?

6. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    And so modest.

HOAT, don't forget Joseph's complete modesty.

(C'mon, Mods, I need a little free reign in my leash today... not trying to insult ANYONE.)

7. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Fact is, when you live in a closet, running gives you something to do. Doing nothing is slow death, financially, emotionally, mentally.

Recipe for a hostile work environment. Confinement to a jail-cell-sized space and forced to just sit there and think about your bills piling up. We're the original microspace people, drivers. What makes it work is scenery and broken white lines in the middle of the road passing by you on one side and a streaming fog line on the other. Feeling that the load you're hauling matters.

Somehow.

Waiting for you again, HOAT.

No drum roll now. Just waiting.

Why. Isn't. Joseph. Working. For. You. Any. Longer.

Why didn't you send him home with a temporary severance check, on layoff and some idea when he'd see some miles again? Why, HOAT????

8. HeartofaTrucker

HeartofaTrucker Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2013
    I respect what you are saying. I can tell you for certainty that the company (GTI) had no interest in you not running if that was the case. It's a hard one to answer why. You probably know more of the why than anyone. Was it a driver manager issue? Was it a freight/shipper issue? Was it a shop issue? Was it a truck issue? Was it a string of bad circumstances or bad luck? A combination of things?

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  9. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Ah, so it's Joseph, huh? Is that it?

He's the problem. Well, maybe he's a problem, we all are.

You left him virtually on the side of the road.

God, save me from the Christians! I tell you. A string of bad circumstances or bad luck? Maybe just a company's indifference, a company that could care less if he were hung out to dry. Yet, this is the OTR truckload carrier way. Give any trouble, make 'em sit.

I've heard Gordon dispatchers mouth that very sentiment.

//Gee, sorry HOAT. Hope I didn't hurt your feelings none...

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  10. Victor_V

Dec 15, 2008
    Spencer, Indiana
    Still waiting, HOAT...

You know, this is a company that made an announcement Friday that will result in literally millions of dollars leaving the company next year.

How long was it okay to let Joseph sit. Forever? Until he finally moved on? Is that okay? Really, okay? Do you see any ethics in that??

Couldn't afford to send him and others a consolation check???

Something to tide the family over??

11. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Vic, you're getting a wee bit pushy here. Sounds like you want (another) long, nasty fight. Don't go there. Lighten up a bit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.