New Pay Program

Discussion in 'Swift' started by kc2000315, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This IMHO is really the way to go. Using www.rigdig.com is a great idea, thanks for that!

Remember that in addition to the $10-20K for a used truck you should budget $20K or so for maintenance to start with and at least $10K for operations. Your used truck will usually have issues requiring some kind of investment within the first month or two.

Fatty_McCracken Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    I have to say that were it not for Command loads I would have parked my truck and given IEL back the keys 2-3 months ago. YES, I'm THAT disappointed with the actions of the Swift planners in the past 3-4 months.

The ONLY reason I'll take a load into the Lancaster planning is the knowledge that Command usually has something I'll haul back out of that area. About a month ago I took a Command load from Phoenix to Houston and got Command to stack me with a load from Houston to NE Colorado. Some Lancaster planner pulled my 2nd Command load off of me and started planning me with their CRAP while I was getting unloaded in Houston. Needless to say I LIT UP the phone lines and got the Command load restored to me.

Denver is actually worse as far as I'm concerned. Command usually has NOTHING I'll haul out of Denver.

I lucked out 2 days ago and got a load of plastic bulkheads (16,048 lbs) out of Coors Golden headed to Irwindale that I t-called in Phoenix. If you ever get one of these loads (parked west of the scale building, bills and seal in the back of the trailer) you can seal it up, do your loaded call and boogie. No need to see the person at the scale building.

What has this to do with the new pay program, PLENTY! It's been my experience that people will put up with A LOT OF CRAP if paid well. I spent my last 2 years working for the FAA at a place I hated all because I knew I could retire soon AND my base pay was north of $140,000.

I've seen my net profit as an O/O steadily decline for the past 18 months. Why should I continue to bust my hump for less money that a company driver running the same amount of miles?

fr8monkey Thanks this.
  4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Steve, are you hanging in there as an O/O to finish out a lease? If so are you planning to buy out the truck?

As someone that is planning to become an O/O I'm looking carefully at what is happening at Swift regarding any movements in compensation and other conditions of leasing on with them. From what I've read so far there really isn't any improvement, basically a wash, with increase in one area but decrease in another. The Command loads seem interesting, but they also seem to be returning less than what I'd like to make as an O/O.

Bottom line for me is to purchase a truck without going L/P in any way, shape, or form.

fr8monkey Thanks this.
  5. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    Yeah agreed...I been stressing out way more than this sxxt is worth myself.....need a real increase....and planning especially plus one sucks balls....got in a big discussion with my dm...... He defends plus one and spews the total company line about how great it is...I almost lost it.....otoh had an interview with schneider and there financing office about my future options.....well see

6. fr8monkey

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    I need to learn to relax a little tho.....not worth the stress.....

7. Fatty_McCracken

Fatty_McCracken Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2014
  8. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    what trolls???? If you are thinking that Steve and fr8 monkey are trolls, you are way out of line.

fr8monkey, inkeper and Mrgreen09 Thank this.
  9. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    There is something I am wondering about. Right now it is a option. Wonder when comes time to renew our lease if it is going to be mandatory???

Mystic, any word on that??

10. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Sounds like it might be time to talk to someone besides IEL...

11. fr8monkey

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    I'll find out in about four weeks and let u know....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.