new policy on new drivers

Discussion in 'PTL' started by hkbravo34, Sep 21, 2008.

1. dammyankee

dammyankee Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2009
    brownsville tx
    They would'nt be doing that if it was'nt putting money in their pocket. My guess is that they are useing this policy to get more teams. Maybe they plan to run expedited freight.:biggrin_25510:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dammyankee

dammyankee Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2009
    brownsville tx
    You don't get it. The companies have high dollar lawyers on retainer. They golf with the Judges. They went to college with the politicians. The little guy don't stand a chance!:biggrin_25512: I don't care what the law states. Since when did our government or the courts obey the law?:biggrin_2552:

A driver standing alone will get nothing done. Just end up in worse condition.:yes2557: But when we all pull our resources together to hire our own higher dollar lawyers and the politicians know that the union has 1 million drivers then we are in a position of power!:yes2557:

It is stupid that the companies have all the advantage. Look at the results!:biggrin_25510:

4. tmr33

tmr33 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2009
    bainbridge,oh
    at will dose not cover , being out sick, family emergencies, and accidents that are not your fualt. union rep five years.

5. dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2007
    None of your business
    talk to a lawyer, he might have a different opinion.

K

6. Teddybear1748

Teddybear1748 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Sorry, dude...just hired on about 3 months ago, although I've been out here 21 years in Jan. I actually fell out of the truck one night at the North Lot, and bruised a bone spur on my heel. Went to ER, and was off for a week. That would have been OK, except my truck was cleaned out (stuff mising, of course), and the $300 for the tool kit was taken out of that next check - which, when I came back, was not refunded, and I had to sign another #### for another kit. Disgusted with the whole outfil, but can't afford to go right now. Good luck, and Happy Holidays.

7. Teddybear1748

Nov 21, 2009
    I have never been with a company who thinks less of their drivers than PTL. You're a robot, not a Professional Driver. I have been on these roads for almost 21 years, and have never seen this kind of sorry treatment.
    I have been tagged for over-idle, as well as out of route. Your don't see any of those people at the South Lot without the comfort of heat or air, so wht should I?? I am going to be comfortable in my truck. Period. Out of route?? I know these roads, and if a route that I choose saves time, and sometimes mileage, that is what I will do.
    I have a new dispatcher, and I just about have a pre-plan for the next load when I deliver. I run 3000 mls/wk (or try to). For the new people with less than 5 years - get experience under your belt, but never think that you have found a home. Look at the stats - how many people do you see at the North Lot just wandering around waiting - every week? PTL doesn't want survivors, just bodies. I've said my peace. Stay safe, and Happy Holidays to all who read...and think.

Phantom1616 Thanks this.
  8. Teddybear1748

Nov 21, 2009
    :biggrin_25512:

9. greyfox54

greyfox54 Bobtail Member

Aug 18, 2010
    My experience with ptl to say the least was not good from start to finish can say a lot but will refrain from what i am really thinking they cannot make up for the time or the money i lost from being a loyal ptl employee for the short time. The attitudes from other disgruntle drivers trickled down to me a student driver had only to walk away from this while i was still in one piece and not killed on the road somewhere. And who was i to complain about a repair to the steering which was badly needed for safety; of which it had to be god that saved myself and the truck from a bad accident. All i know i had enough. Ptl will one day have to answer to the good lord. They have done a number on me and i may return to a truck but not ever with them. Life is too short to be put in a truck of which their maintenance department will only half ### repair and not get to the root cause of what caused the problem leading to other problems and delays on the road when the truck breaks down because they refuse to reconise at home station there is really a problem with the truck and leave it up to student drivers to inspect the truck which i did and remember the rubber boot with a hole in it they replaced the boot but not the bad valve which caused the wheels on the trailor to lock up in dallas as one incident which comes to mind sorry still find nothing good to remember about them except i actually thought it being the company it was would take care of me how wrong i was.

10. ghostranger5of7

ghostranger5of7 Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Springdale, AR
    Unfortunately, an "at will" employment doctrine doesn't obligate an employer to justify or even GIVE a reason for termination.... The BUT comes in when they actually DO give a stated reason. In such cases, the employer had better be able to back up their justification. Otherwise, it'd be possible grounds for a slander/libel lawsuit.

The expections to this are:

Discrimination: An employer can't fire someone for being black, white, or purple. They can't fire someone for a disability that doesn't interfere with the person's ability to do the job. Etc.

Retaliation/malice: "whistleblower protection" means they can't fire someone for reporting the co for unsafe or illegal actions. A person can't be fired in retaliation or "payback" for something. (like refusing to violate HOS laws)

Companies can be sued if the termination was violating the "implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing". In other words, a company can't rip off their workers by firing them. An example would be firing an employee in order to avoid paying retirement benefits, worker's comp, etc.

An "at will" policy can seriously lick balls when someone works for a bad company. The flip side though, is that in places that ARE "at will"... The successful lawsuits from employees bring in pretty big $ judgements.

11. tonyb103

tonyb103 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Trenton, Tn
    Tell that to the woman at Prime who sued them and won for terminating her lease without cause. Prime has many "big time lawyers" on retainer. They lost in federal court and had to pay her hundreds of thousands in back pay and reinstate her in her job.

I'm glad she won!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.