New pumpkin driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Master Jack, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Master Jack

Master Jack Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey folks

First, I gotta say I really enjoy this board. A lot of good info if you take the time to read it all!

As of 4/16 I am a new pumpkin driver!! I got my CDL in March and have been searching for that first job. I went to Green Bay last week and was hired on 4/16. I am in the van division; my OC is Edwardsville, IL. I go out with my trainer on Friday. WOO HOO! This orientation went well. Everything about the process of going through hoops for Schneider has gone well. The week up there was long, but the trainers were cool.

Taking things as they come... not getting worked up... confidence without pride... keeping my ears opened... can't wait to get on the road!! :biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GypsyWillowDusk72

GypsyWillowDusk72 Medium Load Member

Jul 14, 2009
    everywhere
    Congrats Jason. I thought you would be out of Edwardsville. My #### Heart rate was too high when I went in March so I had my Dr change my medicine and now it's a waiting game until Sept so I can get back on the road with hubby.

4. Master Jack

Mar 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks! I have been unemployed since September. This is a career change. I am trying just to go with things and do my best!

I hope you can get your heart rate situation ironed out. A few people left because of that or BP issues, a few more because of road tests. Most of us got jobs. I like Schneider's training and how they put you on the road for a few days before the road test. What I gathered from others is that they do work with you but still definitely have their standards for skills.

It took all week to get used to the orangeness of the rigs. In the end I just plan to make the best out of everything and am very glad to be with Schneider, in part because of the terminal in Edwardsville... that will make things a lot easier.

5. Fooman

Fooman Light Load Member

Mar 11, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Good luck to ya both!

Okay, so whats the process now for SNI? I am looking at a dedicated wal-mart out of Olney, IL. Do I apply, and if accepted, go to Green Bay, or where? ... then training? I was hoping to train out of the Olney OC then.... do you (or anybody) know?

Thanks!

6. Master Jack

Mar 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    You'd apply to that specific job, get a call from the local recruiter.. then go to Green Bay for a week and meet up with the trainer at the OC they assign you to. There were a few drivers who were surprised at which OC it was (including one dedicated) but by and large, people knew where their boss would be. If you got assigned to another OC you would still use the closest for parking etc. They said, the OC to which you were assigned was "just where your boss sits". HTH

Fooman Thanks this.
  7. Master Jack

Mar 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    It's Day 1. I meet my TE in Edwardsville at 0700. Of course I absolutely cannot be late so I've left a lot of time for the 25-mi drive across the metro. I didn't sleep much. Anticipation. It's strange, being a newb, to go start a job by living on a truck with someone you don't know. All I know is his name and that he has a sarcastic sense of humor, which I appreciate. AH! I forgot lunch meats and whatnot. I guess I have time to get some. Here we go... !!

thefather Thanks this.
  8. bigcove

bigcove Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Jason,

Please keep us informed. I am weighing between Roehl and Schnieder as my first company, leaning more towards Schnieder at this point with the regional run they have offered me. It is good to know you had a positive experience through orientation. After living in TN for twenty plus years, I can deal with the orange just fine :-D

9. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Hi Jason, good on getting out. Sounds like you have a decent attitude, try to keep it regardless of what happens. The SNI trainers I've met have all seemed a good bunch, and were more than willing to answer any questions when I went to SNI. Seems like anywhere you go, orientation leaves more questions than answers.
    Edwardsville is a nice little OC.

I think something to keep in mind. I've been with three other big companies, and a small one with only 12 trucks. I've had nicer trucks, made a little more, and drove where I really wanted to be. BUT, and it's a biggy, I've never been treated as well as I have at SNI. Each DBL I've had since there, knows me by voice on the phone, as an example. It seemed at my last company, my Fleet manager never could figure out who I was, and I never bothered to go to the Glass Palace in Chattanooga to see him thru the bullet proof glass. [Maybe someone can pickup on what company that was].

So, be a huge sponge, absorb everything, ask questions, no matter how stupid it may seem. There's a lot going on out here, and it takes a bit of time to notice the small things. You'll get to the point of automatically looking for certain things.

Good luck and good miles to ya'.:biggrin_255:

10. thefather

thefather Light Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Stillwater Oklahoma
    Congrats on everything. Please keep us updated on how it goes. SNI is also one I am looking at as well.

11. MicksRule

MicksRule Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Apple Valley, CA
    I just went thru new cdl orientation with them a few weeks ago (I only had 6 months experience) and finished with their week long training. Blew my mind that all the instructors remembered my name when I went back for SQT.

Everyone seemed happy to be there (Fontana terminal) and everyone I came in contact with treated me with respect. The other 2 companies, well....... not so much.

Now if my co-driver could get finished up (this week), I could get my ##### back on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.