New pumpkin driver

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Master Jack, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Master Jack

Master Jack Light Load Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Update time!!

Merry Christmas all, I hope you are at home and safe and warm with your friends and family. I just moved to CT a couple days ago and said goodbye to Edwardsville. They were good to me. I will now be out of Carlisle, doing NE Regional. While this native and once-again Connectican hates NJ and LI, I am optimistic the regional gig will be good. Going to NYC in a truck also scares me, but I'll just have to see how that goes. I heard a guy say, "from Brooklyn to the Delaware line on 95... 4 1/2 hours". I get to take my bobtail home, living so far from the OC. The schedule looks like 6/2 or 6/3; I will have to talk to my new DBL after the holidays. I gotta re-take the hazmat test at the CT DMV to keep the endorsement, but that's no biggie. I am curious also regarding going to Canada... I've been twice in seven months and don't mind it a bit. Just don't run out of cigs up there.

I will report more later. I hope I get a newer FL truck, preferably a black one :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mycorky

mycorky Light Load Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Illinois
    Jason...DO NOT let the negativity you receive from other truckers stick in your head! Remember, you have the power to drive away from them and know that in the scheme of your life they mean nothing and are nothing! You will always find fellow truckers (as a new driver) do not seem to remember the silly mistakes they made when they started out...it is a continous learning experience. You will do fine...you are doing fine...it is just hard to remember that when you are out there on your own...and you could use a helping hand or a kind word...call home...and get that kind word...
    As for the preventable accident...have you tried talking to safety about that?
    I delivered dedicated to WalMart/for WalMart Stores when I first started...and I will tell you that the workers for that company at the distribution center and the stores made me hate that company. If it wasn't a WalMart tractor bringing that trailer in they treated all of us drivers like second class "you can wait" citizens. It does get to you...but remember...without truckers bringing the stuff to the stores for them to sell they would not have jobs either.
    Hang in there and keep your head up...trucking is hard...but it is a noble profession!

Free and AF461 Thank this.
  4. want2btruckin

want2btruckin Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Jason, I've got a question for you and the other members if they care to answer. In one of your earlier posts you mentioned other drivers negativity about Schneider, what's the deal with that? I'm a wannabe and checking out Schneider and it seems like a good company. Can ya'll tell me why they don't like the pumpkins!?

5. Knotme

Knotme Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Just set up a start date, going to be doing the 14/7 with SNI, has anybody had any experience with this program?

6. RoadRaid3r

RoadRaid3r Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Lima, Ohio
    My opinion is that with 11k± drivers, even a small percentage of poor drivers with worse attitudes can make us all look bad. The other two things I hear consistently is that since SNI is not union a lot of older and union driversare salty about that. In addition, there is an anti mega carrier sentiment because a lot of drivers feel that carriers like SNI drive smaller guys out of profit or business by not only their rates (and ultimately their pay scale) but by pushing for and supporting programs and rules that not every company can afford to implement or enforce. Lastly in and in dustry with such high turnover and a company this large, there are a lot of former pumpkins that carry grudges or have some axe to grind.

Since I am a happy pumpkin however, maybe it is best to seek out the anti pumpkin faction and find out from them directly.

Raid3r

Son of a Trucker and one37 Thank this.
  7. blsqueak

blsqueak Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2009
    buckeye lake, oh
    Ever consider that there might be other reasons, like miles, forced per diem which I was not told about until received first paycheck, told by OC Ops Mgr can avg 2600/wk, and for 3 month, avg 2000/wk, and only home 3 days every month at my choice. This could be some reasons.

8. RoadRaid3r

RoadRaid3r Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Lima, Ohio
    Yes, you would fall into the group of disgruntled former employees and the anti pumpkin faction, which I clearly told the OP to seek out. I was not implying that all disgruntled former employees were at fault, just pointing out with a few thousand "former employees" created each year, surely they would have a better opinion. However, outside of SNI, I have worked for exactly two companies in my life, and both closed their doors by no fault of my own. It doesnt mean I would have bad things to say about them. In addition, I was only offering / relaying what I have heard other drivers at large say to me specifically about why they are so angry with SNI. As for your specific problems, I wont braek them down individually only offset them by saying that everything that SNI told me, they have made come true, even if the truth did not happen on it's own.
    I ll stop hijacking Jason's thread , but if you want to create a new thread titled "Why I hate Schneider" I would gladly continue the discussion there.

Raid3r

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Pumpkin is definetly about the best of the biggies, as far as OTR companies go.

How you fare there is up to you,

if you speak to the right person- you'll get your miles..........

10. scgrizz

scgrizz Bobtail Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Greenville SC
    I am looking pretty hard at Schneider myself. What is the downside to per diem? In the information that they have sent me, it is presented as optional and good fro the driver.

Am I missing something?

11. bigcove

bigcove Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    If you are a recent grad, per diem is not optional the first three months. Near your third month anniversary, you need to fill out a form, your DBL will have it, and have them fax it to Green Bay if you want to come off of it.

On the up side of per diem, you normally have more in your weekly pay check. It is providing your income tax deductions on an immediate basis and paid every week. On the downside, YOU pay the company .02/mile to be on it; you can't take those deductions when you do your taxes; when obtaining new credit for a house or whatever, your gross annual salary is reported lower. Also, the company pays less unemployment insurance, workman's comp, social security, and payroll taxes on you.

This is not to knock Schneider, nor do I have orange pom-poms. Many companies do this, at least with Schneider, you have the option to opt out after three months. Some companies do not give you that option.

one37 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.