New radio

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by jimjam38, Jun 6, 2024.

1. jimjam38

jimjam38 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    If there is a thread set up for this, please move this over and I will take my scolding. My current radio is almost 10 years old and as of late when you turn up the squelch, you barely hear anything. The volume/squelch knob has become loose over the years and if you're fiddling with it, the static will get louder, then get quieter.
    Anyway, I know people have their preferences, but what's a decent radio that won't break the bank? I don't need anything extravagant, I just need something I can use when I'm out on the road. The one I have now is Cobra and it is the Harley Davidson edition from a few years back. Only reason I had it is because my previous employer had safety incentives and that was one of the things I could get for safety bonuses without paying 170 bucks for.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What model radio?

4. jimjam38

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    The current one I believe is the 29 just decked out with the Harley stuff. As far as new one, just looking for advice. Nothing fancy, I can always get it peaked. But opinions on cobra, uniden, road king, etc.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    just get it aligned and fixed, it is a good radio, they do take a beating.

mike5511 Thanks this.
  6. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Find shop thats will do it. Last couple ones i've talked to, try to sell me new radio instead....

jimjam38 Thanks this.
  7. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Unfortunately following the above advice is not as easy as it was "back in the day"! By the time you find a shop that doesn't use "golden screwdrivers", ship it to said shop (finding one local or in a convenient truck stop, etc. is nearly impossible), you'll be into it for half of what the radio is worth.
    Suggestions..............
    https://www.amazon.com/Uniden-PC78LTXFM-Professional-40-Channel-Integrated/dp/B0C8Q5FRB4/ref=sr_1_7?crid=3M9BJW70MOWPP&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.9jx3ieGJzH_oXJcyFOPanKlie-DNAEVJCRYAlFwC5u7aq7H7twDjMXG5zLocD2mWmbtwuB9-RkKdu2yDvO6iH0I8RkYqIuqqJSI0T2twwer3Vpu2mr97Xue16OOg84AHvdKioLB_JGIzRlpjW0iOygnTTofOkBdJJf9VOM7_ty9aXu_HqChsvVFE1vFoIMsQqn74Irv9yXyCFCnUN3XaIEhjgwOjyFLX-4qe9fOflPs.ToPog73IcdK6IkdcE9Pr93iojJvNomfrX8FRf-0ZSYk&dib_tag=se&keywords=uniden+pc76xl+cb+radio&qid=1717762874&sprefix=pc76,aps,104&sr=8-7
    Basically the same to operate as a Cobra 29, but has a surface mount board for a bit better reliability bouncing around in a big truck. Found in many truck stops around the country as well as Amazon.
    Now if you want to try something a little different that uses new technology and won't break the bank there's this...
    Radioddity CB-500 CB Radio | 4W | AM FM | Noise Reduction | 7 Color Backlit | NOAA
    There have been very good reviews of this radio and it's features and size make it a viable option if you want to use some of the latest technology available in CB.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWo8seKCpgs&t=349s&ab_channel=Scott'sRadios

JD

8. jimjam38

Nov 6, 2011
    chickasha, oklahoma
    Thanks for the suggestions. Cuzzin it said it next. I have a local cb guy and asked him about going back into it (this was years ago before the volume issues and the loose knob) He said once a radio is peaked and tuned nothing else can be done to it, but he did direct me to his store page where he had radios for sale.

9. Xcis

Xcis Medium Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Bridgeport, Pa
    I would avoid any new cb radio with the new digital display, Also all new Cobra radios that are made in China and are prone to cold solder joints. Radios with internal SWR meters cost more and are not worth it.
    .You can save some money with a mid sized radio that performs as well as a full sized radio for half the price. Check out the Uniden PC68 and 520 series of radios. Same power as Cobra 29 for less money.

Night Stalker10 and jimjam38 Thank this.
  10. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I'm surprised that the Uniden PC78 still use instant channel 9 as a selling point. They should have used that worthless feature as the FM mode. It's still a far better CB radio then the new cobra 29's, and I recommend the PC78LTX from time to time when someone ask what radio to buy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.