New to Flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Highwaybound, Dec 10, 2011.

1. jimvrg

jimvrg Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2012
    yellville arkansas
    commen sence will get you along way!!:biggrin_25519:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Hawkeye1960, not trying to discourage your flatbed dreams, but if you decide its not for you, and you live in Reading, Pa, check out Ashley Distribution Services there in Reading. I promise you will make between 60k and 75k a year, be home several times a week and off every weekend. Check out my post "my experience with Ashley Distribution" that lays it all out. Having said that, good luck in whatever you do.

4. Mud Dog

Mud Dog Tattooed & Insane - Forum Sparkler

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Hope you didn't have a 102 trailer :biggrin_2554:

5. Mud Dog

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    If you have a tricky load or 1 you're not comfortable with take pictures of the proper securment. Its better to have a visual when on your own than hoping its right or worst, losing the load. When I did it I had a file on my phone just for loads.
    Yes pipe is easy but if you get too comfortable it can kick your *** seen a few drivers get to layed back and have pieces or whole layers shift.
    Sheet steel scared me more than coils any day. Just something about a load of razor blades. Idk your company's stand on them but X-chain sheet steel. I did see drivers either act ignorant or go against company policy and not chain front or rear. TMC requires it and I repowered a load once that wasn't X-chained...the driver exact reasoning, "I know how I drive, if you want it chained you can do it." WTF? Yeah I know how I drive but what about the fool that cuts you off?
    Coils were harder to tarp than secure. Some load ratings on chains are different but I always done full load pulling front then back. ( say 10k # rating 40K coil = 4 chains to the front and 4 to the back) then if there was room I'd add 1 more on each, 1 thru the middle and a strap across the top.
    There's never too much securement....I'd rather have a load put me on my side than come off and kill.

6. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

not all pipe is easy, i loaded this thursday: huge PIA btw lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

American Trucker

7. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
  8. Mud Dog

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
  9. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

perhaps this angle will help you understand why so many straps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

American Trucker

10. TheBlueTater66

TheBlueTater66 Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Pahrump, NV.
    Take your time young jedi flatbedder. Use the proper securement. And please please please do your load checks after you get rollin. There is no such thing as too much securement.... Well I suppose there come be, but you get my drift. Anyway, Happy truckin.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  11. Mud Dog

Dec 8, 2009
    Devil's Land, kentucky
    Nice load...boiler pipes? I could tell wasn't just straight pipe but #### lol. Did you run outta wiches? Never had 1 like that but loved the loads that looked easy then had me scratching my head half way thru. :biggrin_2556:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.