New to Intermodal

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by OIF_Vet, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    The fines, generally speaking, do fall on the company (excepting moving violations of course)

However, YOU will incur the points against your CSA/PSP, which will make you less desirable should you decide to switch companies.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OIF_Vet

OIF_Vet Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    well ####, even the points from non moving violations?

4. Mudguppy

Mudguppy Degenerate Immoralist

Apr 28, 2014
    Wooley Swamp
    Oh yeah. It's your responsibility to find any violations/defects during your pre and post trip inspections, and to correct (or get your company to) any such before you roll out the gate. Of course, we don't live ina perfect world, so......

OIF_Vet Thanks this.
  5. OIF_Vet

OIF_Vet Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    Thats good to know. In other words be a inspection nazi or get the points.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Now intermodal.

If they give you a time to get to a rail ramp be there. That train be leaving your BOX has to be on it. It has to.

Always check your box corners, check your chassis. Fix whatever is wrong with it before you take it out on the road. Those corner hooks is life and death.

Weights. You need to check your permits, in my day I was allowed 99K gross between ports with either 20 footer or 40 footers. Having a 20 footer heavy is hell on your tractor, you are going to scare yourself with these the first time you hit a 30 mph curve at 20.

JBH gets alot of ribbing. This is one company no one joined back in the day. I spent exactly one month with them over the road and had a great time. But it was just after 9-11 and freight went bottom really bad.

The engines are not that great with JBH, be ready for anything. Good luck.

Rocks and OIF_Vet Thank this.
  7. OIF_Vet

OIF_Vet Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Springfield, Mo.
    will do thank you

8. nitroglyc

nitroglyc Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Fairview, TN
    I've never driven for JB, but I can tell you its true, they have the best chassis. Rails can be / and are fun in my opinion. Just remember, its not a race... take your time, ensure that your box is secured and that you are road legal before you leave the yard... I haven't been hit but one time with containers, but it was because of random lvl 1 inspection. all was good, and I was back on the road. Also, when you are in doubt, always ask for help. I pulled a container from the UP in Marion, AR to Hub Group Nashville, TN one time with the right rear pin not locked cause it wouldn't turn... driver on the Nashville yard told me that the box wasn't set perfect, and that I needed to shift the box. I knew I was hauling Aluminum and how it is typically loaded, so I drove in reverse and slammed on the brakes causing the container to shift and low and behold, I was able to lock that pin... there are tricks that you can pick up from experience is my point. keep slow, always check tires and lights, and make sure you always lock pins (I zip tie mine) and you will be fine.

Rocks Thanks this.
  9. rod82

rod82 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Hey brother, im also a vet that went on to JB. I have been here for a year now and it’s a good company based on my experience. I run intermodal and im doing good. The cents per mile are good but I love the intermodal gig, if you can get on one I suggest it. My advice to you is get to know your fleet manager, some guys will complain about them but I have created a good relationship with mine and he keeps me profitable and running. Learn the ropes as quickly as you can. You will make mistakes but get over them and learn from them, drink water, drive on and don’t make them again. Make sure that you log everything that you do on the people net, there are things that you can and will get payed for if you log them. One of the biggest things you can do have a notebook and pen, right down everything to include the times of arrivals to locations, this comes in handy when it comes to detention time. Another one is look over your payment settlements and cross check them with your notes, they do make mistakes sometimes such as mileage or loads are left off. This does not happen on purpose and they will fix it immediately if you let them know on Tuesday of that pay week, if you catch it after Wednesday afternoon they will fix it by adding the missing amounts to your next week’s pay. Brother I have loved my time here at jb, but remember to put in the hard work and work smarter not harder. You will do fine, if you want any more info just message me.

RookieJ1987, 59MackB61 and Rocks Thank this.
  10. rod82

rod82 Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    I almost forgot, with jb you have to pretrip like crazy. Do not start your rig without checking the oil first, they don’t like that and you can and will get written up if they catch you not doing your pretrips.

11. joe016

joe016 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Are u guy o.o or company driver

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.