New to Prime INC - What to expect (Springfield edition)

Discussion in 'Prime' started by silenteagle, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Highway101

Highway101 Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Fallon, Nevada
    Well to be honest, you will have to sleep with it in your bunk. So I would run down and get a duffel bag, and also a sleeping bag as you will be better served than sheets and blankets. Sheets and blankets would be fine except while in TNT and you will be sleeping in the bottom bunk (your trainers bunk) while he is driving. With a sleeping bag you would just move it to the bottom bunk, With sheets you would have to make the bed every time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jwilki

Jwilki Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Boyce, Louisiana
    Thanks Highway, will go see what I can find at wallywold tmrw.i figured space would be a problem.

4. MsJamie

MsJamie Road Train Member

Most likely, you will be given a 39x75 inch space to do with as you wish. If you bring suitcases, you *might* be able to put them on the seat when you're shut down for the night; that's up to your instructor.

As others have said, a duffel bag is preferable. They collapse as you take stuff out, so once you take out your pillow, fart sack, and such, they don't take up a lot of room.

5. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    If it were my truck, one wouldn't be messing with my bunk that way... and after a long shift of driving, you'll be too tired to do that in any case. Understand that as a PSD student or TnT trainee, you are a guest in your instructor or trainer's home on the road. Imagine if in your home someone decided they were going to rip up your bed and sleep in it every night, and then expect you to make it again so you could sleep in it. I'd bet you wouldn't be very amused after a day or two.

You're going to be expected to act as a guest in that home on the road, and a good one at that. You'd better plan on asking first, before you take any liberties, and expect to help with the upkeep of the truck (i.e. cleaning) while you're there. Understand that the cab of an OTR truck is a very small universe. You are going to get to know your instructor and trainer very well. You can make this an enjoyable interlude in the beginning of your career, or you can make things very hard on yourself. The choice is yours.

6. Jwilki

Jwilki Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2014
    Boyce, Louisiana
    Not sure who you are talking to mr. Pony. Who said anything about messing up a bed or truck ?

7. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    But that's exactly what you'd be doing with sheets and a blanket. A sleeping bag is pretty much required during training... if you want to go the sheets 'n blanket route, that's something for your own truck.

8. Fuffster

Fuffster Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Hesperia,Ca
    Now that's funny. I needed a good laugh today. Thanks Flips:biggrin_25525:

9. Fuffster

Mar 30, 2014
    Hesperia,Ca
    This has been a great thread. Here is my situation. I have about 6yrs of former exp, mostly refer. I haven't driven a truck since 2004. Two weeks ago I cramed for 4 days here in cali and passed the test for my Permit. Now im in a 7 day refresher cource at a trucking school. So I can pass the drive test and pretrip and all that. THE FIRST TIME :biggrin_25525:. I will have my CDL by the time I get to springfield sometime around the 15th of May. Knowing this info, can someone please let me know what to expect. By the way. I got a call the other day and she said I was approved for Prime--company driver--refer. Im assuming that's a good thing.

10. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Yep its a good thing if you want reefer. You're coming in as a C-seat, so start reading at the beginning of the thread... junk the stuff about permit testing, and insert that you're looking for a TnT trainer on Friday. You'll do 40k miles, and come back in for solo upgrade to your own truck.

11. Fuffster

Mar 30, 2014
    Hesperia,Ca
    Thanks for your help. I keep hearing stories about drivers having to give up their CDL once they get to Springfield.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.