New to stepdeck I need some advice

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by strongtrucker, Mar 30, 2023.

1. 01HFT

01HFT Light Load Member

May 20, 2021
    Sycamore, IL
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. exhausted379

exhausted379 Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2013
    When I started pulling a stepdeck a year or two ago, it was specialized. We could get 12 to 15 cents more a mile than flatbed freight. Then I saw a Swift truck pulling one, and I remember thinking well there goes the neighborhood. Then everybody started getting a stepdeck and completely wrecked that market. Now, thanks to a bunch of knotheads, stepdecks are just another flatbed that people pay more for just to haul flatbed freight. You guys can come at me any way you want to, but it won't change the fact that it pisses me off greatly that a good sandbox was destroyed because people that didn't know what they were doing thought they did. Be safe out there because someone at home needs you.

4. strongtrucker

strongtrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Hey guys I just wanted to give you an update, I bought headache rack and all those flatbed equipments(chains,binders,straps…).
    Shoutout to @pavrom he sold me nice headache rack for good price. Here is the equipments that I bought;
    12 chains 3/8
    12 binders
    30 straps 4” and 2”
    10 Coil racks
    10 coil pads
    10 4”x4”x4’ beveled lumber
    1 Winch bar
    2 box bungee strap 21” 31”
    10 moving blankets
    2 packs edge protectors
    Oversize load banner and flags

only thing is; trailer that I rented doesn’t have ramps for now but they will install it soon, idk if it’s gonna be problem at first place but let’s see how it goes. I put 2 padlock on it to protect chains and binders from thieves. What do you think?
    I’m gonna attach a pic, this is how my setup looks like.

thank y’all.

Attached Files:

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  5. NH Guy

NH Guy Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2023
    If thievery is a concern dont leave the straps on the winches when not in use. They will last longer too when safely tucked away in a box instead of exposed to the weather.

strongtrucker Thanks this.
  6. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    You’ll want to secure the bottom hooks on those binders or they will unscrew and disappear while you are driving.

Also, I would suggest keeping a spare winch bar somewhere on your truck in case you lose the other one. It will happen sooner or later I promise. LOL

Blue jeans, CAXPT, beastr123 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    A tip to save you some headaches.

Put half your chains and half the binders on each side. Take a chain and hang it from the bottom hooks on your binders with about 10 links between each hook. That way your binders won't unscrew going down the road. If you don't keep the bottom hooks from spinning they will fall out.

cke, Blue jeans, CAXPT and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    This too. Don't ever set the bar completely on the trailer. Always lean it against the side or leave part of it hanging off the side when you set it down. That way you can look in your mirrors and see it sticking out if you forget it.

cke, CAXPT, beastr123 and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Lowbed, propane and fuel have all suffered the same fate

exhausted379 Thanks this.
  10. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Put some rubber behind the chains in that headache rack also, other wise all your gonna hear is chains bouncing off aluminum when stopping and accelerating

Ruthless, Blue jeans, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  11. strongtrucker

strongtrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2021
    Wisconsin
    when you try to unscrew the hook at the last point it won’t part apart, not coming off

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.