New to the forums

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by twpaq, Apr 17, 2019.

1. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    I know I’ve pulled some 24-28 footers. Looking like a rookie

OldeSkool and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Go pull a flatbed , u being in the army , u aint afraid of a little hard work and a challenge, i promise u its much better than dry van or reefer

twpaq and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  4. 88 Alpha

88 Alpha Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 12, 2012
    SouthEast Alabama
    What would make you think you can't mention a company name?

Mooseontheloose Thanks this.
  5. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    After you get a some experience under your belt, you could always do a civilian contract overseas also. My hubs was a SeaBee and has done contract in Afghanistan for plumbing. They pay well.
    Thank you for your service and good luck with your new career adventure. :)

Mooseontheloose and twpaq Thank this.
  6. twpaq

twpaq Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Yucaipa
    The overseas contract do interest me and that would be a very unique experience! I'm definitely going to keep this in the back of my mind for down the road.

I just had my over the phone interview with Jim Palmer yesterday and passed and heard back from someone today asking medical and physical related questions. It will be roughly a week before they get back to me with hopefully the approval of my application. If all goes well and I get accepted to go to their school I will leave May 20th.

Ironically, I did contact Swift, but the representative takes days to get back to me and they provide hardly insight or interest in helping me to get my CDL through them. I'm aiming for Jim Palmer, but just as a potential back-up I contacted them.

7. twpaq

twpaq Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Yucaipa
    Update from Jim Palmer: There are more qualified candidates at this time. Try again in six months.

8. OldeSkool

OldeSkool Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Arkansas
    Chinatown mention Prime earlier. I would definitely check with them before just going with Swift. I know its only a year that your stuck, but it may be a very long year with Swift.

9. twpaq

twpaq Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Yucaipa
    I'll check out Prime and see what happens. At least if I do end up with Swift being a Veteran you don't owe back the cost of school. However, there is still the year contract. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Another option might be to work for the government at the Postal Service. They're the largest employer of Military Vets and your years of service counts as previous experience.

You can transfer your years of service if you served at least 4 years. It'll be like you worked at the PO for 4 years. There are ENDLESS amount of job opportunities at the PO. As a matter of fact, after a year of service, you can apply to ANY Federal job in the government. You can apply to be a Letter Carrier, Clerk, Mail Handler, Federal Postal Police, OIG, Postal Inspector, Mechanic, Maintenance, Custodian, Supervisor, Manager, Postmaster, Labor Relations, etc., etc., etc., etc., ...you get the point ;). Very good paying jobs once you're a Career employee. Hell...Mail Handlers are basically dock workers...and some of them make over $150k a year :eek:

twpaq and Mooseontheloose Thank this.
  11. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    Everyone is telling you no swift. Why are you not listening?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.