New to trucking. How will CRST get me home to Northern Calif?

Discussion in 'CRST' started by 4Bear, Jul 26, 2012.

1. 4Bear

4Bear Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2012
    CRST is my choice. I'll be out mid August and we'll see how they get me back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckdriver33

truckdriver33 Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2010
    East Prairie, MO
    I worked for CRST back in 2004. They sent me to truck school and then I had to work for them for 6 months to pay off the school. Lived off cash advances (how pathetic) so when load was completed my check on COMDATA was always a NEGATIVE amount. You have to run mostly I-80 and sometimes I-90 over all the mountains, and lots of snow and wind. That can turn your knuckles white when you are a newbie. Last straw - - - - Co-driver fell asleep going down the highway in Virginia with me sitting right there; almost cost my life; and CRST wouldn't take the co-driver off the truck..............You can do better.........PLUS CRST doesn't run SOLO unless you lease your own truck from them

4. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
  5. amarth2008

amarth2008 Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2012
    I have worked for swift they screw you after training. I've tried schneider us express. Look in to covenent I have heard good and bad about them but beggers can't be choosers. I have 6. Months and company's won't take me

6. FEELTHEWHEEL

FEELTHEWHEEL Medium Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    EL Cajon C.A.
    Go with SWIFT if you want home time. The first year will be poor pay like the rest of them. CRST will keep you out for long periods of time. CRST might pay better sooner if you can get through all the BS. SWIFT will have more comfort if you can afford the wait. Good Luck

7. Tabathar2009

Tabathar2009 Bobtail Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I start CRST in 2 weeks, I am from Northern California in Sacramento. I was also wondering where a terminal was. Guess Ill be getting a car real soon if I have to drop off in Stockton. Or Find a place to park a truck. This will be fun.

8. rockstar_nj

rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    I just had one like that. my codriver told me about how he was racing another CRST truck, and was going into neutral going downhill, with a full load " to get good speed". he also would stay awake all day, so when he drove at night, he was relying completely on 5 hour energy. He also never paid attention to anything, I stopped him from way too many crashes.

My FM's response... " there's nobody near you to drive with, your gonna have to go back out with him for a while". I had to get his boss to get me off of the truck, and right now, I have no idea if I even still have a job or if they fired me or think I quit.

For the OP, and the other guy starting with CRST soon, the trucks moving matter way more to the company than your life and safety ever will. Getting away from a dangerous driver will be a headache, and then very scary that he's still on the road driving. Signing that contract with them will be the biggest mistake you've ever made. I should have edited a few months for the accident to get off my record and go to a better company

9. Bigmanchumbo

Bigmanchumbo Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Susquehanna, Pa
    hi how are you just trying to get post count up

10. milesandmilesofroad

milesandmilesofroad Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Okay use some logic for a moment. If the two CRST drivers didn't have a good thing to say, why are they still here with CRST? experienced drivers have hundreds of companies to choose from?

A lot if drivers leave here then they later come back. I've been here 29 years, I'm not a dumb person and if it was that bad here at Crusty, I would have left long ago.

remember this...a lot of companies talk about how great their pay rate is, yet they offer no miles, so even if you got $1.00 a mile, if your not getting miles, your not going to make any money.

if your after quality of life, trucking is the slow boat to financial freedom.

ttwjr32 Thanks this.
  11. rockstar_nj

rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    when you're not on a contract, and you bring your own Codriver, this seems like a stable company to work for. but if you're on the contract, they're going to abuse that, something you clearly forget... the days of spending days sitting with no Codriver purely so that your shift manager doesn't end up with that truck not moving if you go to a different manager, out the day before your home time, being given a load that picks up the next day to go 3k miles. or never being able to get rooted fir repairs... this is the worst company to get a contract with. they know you can't quit, so they love to leave you just sitting in random spots in the country. our strong for days because they refuse to let you deadhead to pick up a load, so instead, you just don't work.

I'd you're thinking about coming on a contract, be ready to lose a lot. when you're getting loads, they move you. but they like to suddenly stop and leave you sitting for a week... but at least you're not sitting at home. they WILL deadhead you away from home just so that you're on their truck making no money instead of art home still making no money, but being able eat healthy

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.