New trailer spread spec

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Son, Mar 16, 2018.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I always say blanket statements are dangerous.

cke, ChaoSS and SAR Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Always?:p

cke Thanks this.
  4. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Yep I always say that about blanket statements.

SAR and cke Thank this.
  5. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I have one with an 8 foot upper deck. It’s a great idea (not) if you keep your fifth wheel right over the rear drive. But if you’re like most and want it centered over your drives you will not have clearance underneath. I had an extension built on the front. Had the kingpin placed right at the end of the original frame with 20 inches added in front.

6. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    That's just the answer I was looking to hear. The only negative I have heard from other truckers or trailer salesmen is " it will be ugly". No one has had input on the forward spread weight issue. It will be set 3' forward of my current 50' (44' kingpin), that's not extreme but there will be more weight on the spread....I hadn't checked this post in a while, thanks for all the replies.

7. DL550CAT

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    And with 8 feet behind the axle you are likely to drag and possibly get stuck. That’s a lot of tail behind you that’s not far from the ground to begin with.

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. Son

Son Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    That's true, but same deal with a Cali legal tandem everybody runs around with

9. Army91W

Army91W Heavy Load Member

Nov 3, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I drove for Melton as a rookie and pulled their 53's. Three times I was over weight and all three times I was over 20k on the rear trailer axle.
    One of the times the trailer was preloaded. The other two times only happened because I was rookie. Now with experience I am pretty confident when I need more weight on my drives.

If it were me I would have the on board scale and tell the loaders I like a nice ride make sure they put some weight on my drives. Oh and just haul lightweight freight.

Son and Tug Toy Thank this.
  10. singlescrewshaker

singlescrewshaker Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Little Havana, FL
    Yeah, I guess I may have only been thinking about myself on that one. Being I currently have a single drive axle truck I'd guess an 8' upper deck wouldn't give me the swing clearance problems you were having.

While looking for used stepdecks, it seems the 8' upper 40' lower is not a popular size because of the issues you've mentioned. Has any specific company made some trailers this size you know of so I can look at buying one, or will I have to have one custom ordered to those specs..?

Also with an 8' upper is 12"-14" kingpin a doable setting..? Thanks..

11. DL550CAT

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Yeah.... a single screw you would have plenty of clearance with an 8ft upper. If ordering I would think you could get what ever kingpin setting you wanted.
    Mine is a all steel Transcraft 8 foot upper and 40 lower. it’s also a 3 axle. I bought it used at decent price because of the short top deck. If I had to do it over I would pass on it. The short top deck is a pain. I have the swing clearance issues resolved but I’m all the time hauling 9 foot long kit boxes that barley fit and some have to be blocked up and let hang over.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.