New truck new problems

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by GR8FLDEAD, Aug 29, 2022.

1. GR8FLDEAD

GR8FLDEAD Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Hello all

Hopefully this is the right forum. I've got a 2023 kw t680. Had 67 miles on it when I picked it up, it now has 17,022. Problem started around 11k. If the road is brand new, I can drive with one hand relaxed, weather permitting. However if there's any type of ridge or crown, or spots where you can see the previous layer of concrete, pretty much any crappy road anywhere, the truck goes with the road, it feels like the steering wheel is loose, and vibrates along with the dash, but not all the time, I've got blisters/ calluses on my hand from holding the wheel so tight. It feels like I'm gonna lose control of the truck, I have to fight just to get it back. Like it's going to tip, it's a very odd sensation. Now I'm not a mechanic, I've picked up things along the way and can do a good pre post trip, I couldn't find anything, finally took it into kenworth dealership being under warranty, they spent 3 hours checking front end and test drove it, said nothing is wrong. But I'm at my witts end. I'm not even gonna think about driving this thing in the snow. Obviously they drove it empty and the symptoms are way worse when I'm loaded. Has anybody encountered anything like this or have any advice? Sure am missing the 2019 kw right about now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Make an appointment and take it back to the stealership with a load .

sounds like an issue with the steer axle alignment
    Not enough caster or not enough toe in

also KW just recalled a lot of trucks for steering box problems .
    Is your truck in the recall ?

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    It's probably on recall. I recently asked Peterbilt about that and they mentioned mine got the replacement already however I'm sitting here at Peterbilt for a code regarding a new program update.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. GR8FLDEAD

GR8FLDEAD Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Thanks for quick response. No, I had no idea about recall. I'm gonna get the ball rolling. Appreciate it. Will definitely keep updated.

6. Jennymh1

Jennymh1 Bobtail Member

Dec 10, 2019
    hey did you find an issue? I have a 2023 KW T680. I find it's harder to manage on curves and I feel like I might lose control. I think it's the way it handles. I just take curves slower especially when loaded. Just wondering if you actually found an issue.

7. movingmountain

movingmountain Bobtail Member

Oct 18, 2020
    Same Issue here, at 70 mph steering starts vibrating with a noise as if a trap is loose in the wind, truck has 5k on it, truck had 500 miles when ac compressor along with serpentine belt had to be replaced due to a squeaking noise issue. Drive Axel Gasket relaced at 2k was leaking, Old worn roads makes me feel like the whole front end will come apart, dash rattles as if something is loose, Hard to keep it on the road, Alignment was complete with no issues found. No confidence on curves.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.