New Truck Spec'ing

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by jb616, Aug 9, 2012.

1. jb616

jb616 Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    There is a chance that my company will be spec'ing a new truck in the sometime distant future even though we just bought a brand new one a few months ago (small company have 2 trucks). Anyways, we haul flatbeds loaded with material or equipment to/from our jobsites. Usually loads are pretty heavy, varying just under 80,000 with a few going over 80,000 with permits. The one piece of equipment we haul, we have 2 of them, weigh between 62,000-75,000 depending on fuel, material, etc. left in the machine. My question is, what would be the benefits of spec'ing a truck with a drop axle? The new truck we got does not have one but I never really understood the benefits of having it on the tractor since no one can really tell me. If we are hauling a heavy piece like we do does it benefit the axle weights, ease of driving with that heavy of a load, do state DOT like to see you have another axle with that amount of weight, etc.???

Main question: drop, tag, pusher, whatever axle beneficial to spec on a new truck hauling heavy weights?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. haulhand

haulhand Road Train Member

Really the only reason to have a drop axle is to get more weight on the group legally. For example instead of getting 40000 on your drivers as a tandem now with a drop axle you can get 48000 to 60000 depending on the state and how heavy the lift is, if it has single tires or duals etc etc. If you are going to be hauling heavy alot it is beneficial if not it is just added weight to haul around.

4. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    the benefit of a pusher is to be able to carry more weight legally. it also makes it safer to carry them heavy loads, as you have a extra set of breaks. it also takes away the mushyness of the ride when your loaded really heavy. at under 80k theirs no benefit to having a pusher its just dead weight but over 80k certainly some benefits. they are also good for spring time when frost laws are in effect. with the 7 axle truck i currently drive on a 8 ton per axle restricted road i can still get my full bridge weight. i can do 96k leagly with the 3 axle trailer or 105k with a quad trailer

CAXPT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.