New Trucker Starting a Career. at OD PA..

Discussion in 'Old Dominion' started by Mo_Goris, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Mo_Goris

Mo_Goris Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Hello,
    I will be finishing up my week training for OD out of the Carlisle, PA terminal to be a P&D Driver at the ALN terminal in Allentown, PA.

worked for OD as a Dock Worker for a year and now they put me thru school, got the permit with all endorsements and plan on taking the driving test in about 2 or 3 weeks into training, I am terrified by that test..

OD has Been really good to me, my warehouse manager it's a great guy, very fair, and most of the guys I worked in the dock were cool too.

I am 37 years old and had been on the warehouse business since I was 16, got tire of going nowhere (I had done everything from lead to supervisor) and nothing to show, so a year ago I decided to make a career change and not regretting one bit.

Just scare about the future experience, don't know how is it going to be, if the driving test will be hard.

But one thing I am sure of, I am not scare, I am very excited about starting and going on my own, and will do everything by the book, no shortcuts.

I will be updating this and taking pics as soon as I start, any input from any of the veterans here will be appreciated.

what it's the one advice you guys would give me..

Thanks..

hdcut and Chinatown Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't over think it. Truck driving is really pretty simple. Relax and go with the flow.

dennisroc Thanks this.
  4. Mo_Goris

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

Training school done!!

Monday at 7 am training starts for the next 24 Days!!

can't wait!!

I'll keep you guys posted..

T_Bone and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Rug_Trucker

Rug_Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Jumpin in ODFL ............................

6. Mo_Goris

Jul 11, 2014
    Hey Rug, you otr or p&d? where do you operate, and how long you been driving? ?

7. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    I was a driver from '80-87. Local and specialized fuel on line haul. Dropped my chaueffer license in '90. '09 got my CDL. I did 15mo OTR, then hauled fuel for less than a year. I have been on dedicated picking up car parts for factories for over 2 years. No touch freight, day cab work. I have never done LTL. I do IN, KY, AL, MS, and TN. Home everyday, usually M-F.

T_Bone Thanks this.
  8. Mo_Goris

Jul 11, 2014
    sounds like a sweet gig..

9. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    Bennies suck. Non matching 401, no raise in 2 years. We do have Anthem Blue Cross for the time being. No personal days, sick days. We are guaranteed $750 and top weeks go to $1055. Decent equipment (no Columbias.) Entire fleet is Cascadias. Some single axles, some have radar collision avoidence crap, that is a pain in the patoot and increases fatigue (when it works). A few have driver facing cameras. Automotive is very volatile.

When I hauled fuel one of our drivers worked for OD doing line haul. He got laid off and hauled fuel. They called him back and he went back for a short while. Then went back to fuel as he liked the more physical work.

10. Mo_Goris

Jul 11, 2014
    lay off at OD?? we seem to be busier every month..

11. Rug_Trucker

Aug 7, 2009
    Near Nashville TN
    2008-2009 or so. Back when trucking and everything else was in the toilet.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.