Newbie FAQ

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tjgosurf, Jul 12, 2007.

1. luckytx52

luckytx52 Light Load Member

May 22, 2011
    Slow poke'n along
    You get free showers where you fuel, really 550 miles a day is a good rule of thumb.. There are MANY factors in that but if your not getting 2500-3k miles a week something needs adjustment. Prepare your self for all the super truckers that drive 900 miles a day and get 6000 miles a week.

As far as money, it's all up to you. My last team driver and I challenged our selves to not spent any cash in a truck stop and only shopped at walmart. Seemed to help out. Good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. john burkett

john burkett Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    thnks. for the info. is that 12 hours a day 7 days a week to get to 2500-3000 miles a week. or is it more like 10 hrs a day 7 days a week. remember newbe newbe

4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    It is 500 or so a day. 5 days is 2500. 8 hours of driving. There is a lot of sitting around. Waiting and waiting. Log off duty every chance you get and protect your clock.

Last week I drove 3400 or so miles and made 2390 plus. It was a hard week.

5. john burkett

john burkett Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2014
    thanks a million. im not wanting to get rich just wanting to supplement my wifes income. lol. was hoping for around 800 a week. but from what I have been reading on the forum they will want to pressure me into running running running. think I will be able to keep a job at the 2500-3000 miles a week?

6. gotz2ride

gotz2ride Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2014
  7. sbrown300

sbrown300 Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2011
    houston, tx

I know this is an old question and answer but wanted to clarify that's not true about the permit. I used to instruct new CDL drivers at Prime and had students who brought in permits from GA and all kinds of other states and when finished with on road trainig would return back to prime in springfield and get their exam done. If IL though they have to do test in my truck at DMV in IL. Thanks

Sean

8. LAStoRDU

LAStoRDU Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2014
    Durham,NC
    I know this May not be the right place to ask(and if it isn't I'm sorry) but how I can I tell if a CDL school is a "mill" or not?

thanks for the info

9. Aigars

Aigars Bobtail Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Chicago, IL
    Our new drivers (usually friends of our drivers) DO NOT go to trucking schools. They ride in team with an experienced driver and learn everything on the road. Before of course is better to get driving permit all You have to do- PASS written exam which consists of 3 simple parts. Then in few weeks when we think they ready they go and Pass driving exam. As simple as that ;)

10. davetiow

davetiow Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2014
    excellent post, so much value in every line, thanks for making the effort and time to educate.

11. harlycharly55

harlycharly55 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Are you a Company Driver or Lease or O/O?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.