Newbie FAQ

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tjgosurf, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Mad_Hatter

Mad_Hatter Bobtail Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Sounds like a revenue generation thing. If you call Wal-Mart corporate office you will probably get a different answer for parking. Best of luck. Also ask where you can park, might be in the worst part of lot away from building, but ok to park.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LongBoat

LongBoat Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Chicagoland
    Hello All
    50 yo guy looking to make a complete career change. After being laid off 2 out of the last 5 years, leaving the corporate rat race.

Recieved a WIA grant for CDL school, beginning next week at local community college. Big question is about prior driving record. I have 2 DUIs...one 21 years ago, and one 18 years ago. (It was a rough couple of years) Pretty model citizen since. In the pre admission interview, the school said a couple of big companies wont touch me at all, but I wanted to check this. Are they long enough ago, or is this a BIG issue, and should I rethink this ?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    zilla916 Thanks this.
  4. Sharps5090

Sharps5090 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Northern Illinois
    Longboat, apply where you want to. If you are upfront about it, it shouldn't be a huge issue. Family member had a DUI in 89 and has been driving cdl since about 2001 (12 years after DUI). There are a number of companies that will take you, and likely some that may balk at any DUI. Good luck, and Welcome to the rat race!!

5. oregon1001

oregon1001 Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Tangent,OR
    You just have to keep asking various places. Its tough sometimes. Some Walmart's will let you park, some won't, always get permission from the Manager or you may get a ticket or towed. I have been towed from a K-Mart lot. Good luck and always leave the spot cleaner than when you arrived! the

6. Littleitchy

Littleitchy Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Pine City MN
    I got a question, in MN what does the letters mean on the licenses plates like Y or P or T. I looked on the DMV website but never found a clear answer. I know a guy from here heading over too Michigan to pick up a loader with his dump truck and tag trailer, got to WI and got turned around by DOT because he only had a Y plate.
    Thanx.

7. Ford L8000

Ford L8000 Medium Load Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Blacksburg, VA
    I have a question regarding DOT physicals. I am about to get my CDL using my military skills waiver, do I have to get the DOT physical at the time of issue of the CDL, or can I get it when signing on to drive for a company?

8. texmade2

texmade2 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2014
    What is QCER Road Test

9. Nola 32/65

Nola 32/65 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Just read all 25 pages, lots of solid info!

10. texmade2

texmade2 Bobtail Member

Jul 8, 2014
    in order to get my CDL I had to get he DOT physical,I am x military vet. required.

Ford L8000 Thanks this.
  11. neffalaska

neffalaska Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Hopefully this is a good thread to ask this question on:
    I recently ran a red light in my personal vehicle. I do not have a CDL yet, only a CDL learners permit, so I am eligible for driving school to keep the points off my license. Does this mean that there will be no record of the violation, when a trucking company looks up my motor vehicle record?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.