Newbie FAQ

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by tjgosurf, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Truss5

Truss5 Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2014
    To the "taking a shower" question...

Get a reward card at each truck stop...Luvs, Pilot, TA, etc. The reward card is free. You just fill out your info. Note: some truck stops have merged so their rewards cards are honored at each location (i.e. TA/PETRO and Flying J/Pilot). As you fill up your truck with fuel at the truck stop, you get a shower credit for filling with 50 gallons (in most cases). The shower credit is good for 1 shower but some of them expire after a certain time so use it quickly. Most of the shower rooms at truck stops are clean, just wear flip flops when in there. The truckstop will supply towels and wash cloths but you'll want to bring your own toiletries. Some provide soap and shampoo but I wouldn't count on it. I carry a shaving bag with travel size shave cream and shampoo of my own.

I shower everyday. I found that it refreshes me after a long day on the road or wakes me up after a sound night's sleep in the bunk. If I have a day where all I do is drive and not load or unload I typically go without a shower that day. Otherwise, I try showering everyday.

Good Luck!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrabbinGears10_4

GrabbinGears10_4 Bobtail Member

Nov 5, 2014
    Its really not how often CAN you shower, its how often you think you SHOULD. ha. Between terminals, pilot stations, service stops, etc. you can find a shower daily if your looking.

4. ewhitex01

ewhitex01 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2015
    Denver,Co
    The reason Walmart doesn't allow trucks to park in their lot any more is people leave garbage and pee bottles on the ground. But, I have found that truck stops will let you drop your trailer if you get permission from them first if have room to park a bobtail at home. Or some companies will let you park if again you ask for permission

5. KF7WTV

KF7WTV Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    RENO, NV
    Roehl has CDL training "for some", and does use APU's (or the similarly-functioning battery system.)

I say "for some" because although they do offer it, they don't offer it to everyone. They are based in Marshfield, WI, and I live in Reno, NV. They told me I would have to get my own CDL & they would reimburse me. I assumed it was geographical reasons, but I never did find out. And they did reimburse me over the course of a few paychecks.

They are a great company to start with. Very safety-oriented. Large-enough fleet to be able to work around logistical problems you may encounter. Small enough that you're still a name with your fleet manager, and probably their boss as well. They have Flat, Van, and Reefers, with lots of home time and lane options.

After my 1 year + with them, I went to a smaller flat fleet with better pay and better miles.

Good luck to you!

BeanDip Thanks this.
  6. csw1818

csw1818 Medium Load Member

Feb 6, 2014
    pinehurst, nc
    That post is old man I've been at prime for 8 months now.

7. Truckin48

Truckin48 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I purchased a pair of water shoes at Walmart for $6 for this very reason.

8. Truckin48

Truckin48 Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2021
    I’m not sure if you’re referring to the Mustang Ranch just outside of Reno but my deceased father who was a truck mechanic/driver knew the owner and it was shut down down due to tax stuff and I think it was sold to someone else… not sure if it’s still in existence but there is a place in Wells, NV called Bella’s Hacienda Ranch (no I haven’t been there) but it’s still in operation. Just drove by it last week.

9. Jemikoh

Jemikoh Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Houston, Tx
    2022 anyone active in here? Got questions? I’m available to assist!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.