Newbie needs some help A.S.A.P.!!!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dizzles, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Cynical Driver

Cynical Driver <strong>"Eternal Cynic"</strong>

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I can't say for sure that they still do... They did when I started, but they stopped in 2009, not sure if they re-opened the schools because I've moved on since, but I still know people, so I can find out.

Roehl does training as well.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jonny1

Jonny1 Medium Load Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    You need to be a very recent graduate to take advantage of Schneider National's student training, their full school program in not currently open........ student oreintation training and tanker training. And they are hiring students in selected areas only at this point.

4. Cynical Driver

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Nope, Schneider requires 6mo experience, sorry.

Check Roehl, and J.B. Hunt (they're pretty strong in that corner as well.)

5. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Has JB Hunt ever hired students in recent history? I think you need 3 months?

6. Dizzles

Dizzles Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    I'll prob call a recruiter at Roehl tomorrow and see what there talking about,,, thanks!!!!

7. Cynical Driver

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I never worked for them, just put the name out there as an option.

If they don't, well then that leaves Roehl for a training company with a good presence in Atlanta (that I know of.)

8. Jonny1

Jan 14, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Cynical,

Get this, JB has a student page and directs you to a local school, but when you read the page fully it states all driving jobs at JB require 6 months experience ??

9. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Go check out your local Job Service office... UPS only hires thru JS... they will hire newbies off the street and train them in the Smith System... IF they need drivers. Right now is the slowest time of the year so you may have to wait a bit... but they do hire in the spring since they need drivers during the summer to fill in for vacations, etc.

BTW... UPS does not have tractor trailer drivers... they have FEEDER drivers... it's just UPS-speak.

After 30 months of seniority you should have a nice 70K per year job... if you make the cut.

10. Mattkujata

Mattkujata Medium Load Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Ohio
    I talked to Schnieder and JB Hunt when I started my job search (Fall 2010). I'm in the same boat as you as far as recent experience goes. I got my CDL in 2003 and drove for Swift for a year after that. That was the last time I drove a semi! Schnieder told me I'd have to take a refresher course. One of their approved courses was at a local community college and cost about $1700 for a week long course.

J.B. Hunt told me all they had available for my level of recent experience (none) were class B jobs.

I ended up going with Roehl. Based on my research of the company, I financed the $2800 for their school and plan on working for them for at least the 120,000 miles required for them to nullify that debt. This of course, barring any unforeseeable problems (accidents, health problems, etc...)

I'm in northeast Ohio. That was my experience with those 3 companies, for what it's worth.

11. Cynical Driver

Aug 27, 2006
    Wisconsin
    lol, sounds like a trucking company!

I think that means they'll hire out of specific schools on a sponsorship program of some kind, but if you went elsewhere you have to get 6mo before they'll hire you... I could be wrong, maybe they're just bi-polar, lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.