Newbie question about pulling over on the shoulder

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dtj12231989, Dec 7, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Why would we be mad?

Just remember. Any time a question: "I wonder if..." enters your mind while you are trucking means that you are now in a dangerous situation. Some turn out very funny, others costly in my lifetime.

One example.

I was deep in VA beach VA near fighter-town. I could not think due to the noise. And wanted out. As in on the interstate out of here. I saw a road going towards the Interstate some distance away and thought... "Gee, I wonder if she (Truck) will do this one..."

Made the turn. Looked up and was confronted by a school on the left, elementry. Then two rows of parked cars from 3 blocks up this end all the way down past the schoolhouse to several blocks on that end.

Folding mirrors were new then in the late 80's Teachers liked to drive new cars and show off. So I spent about a mile folding and refolding mirrors to squeak past a car at a time. Pull up, fold two sets of mirrors pull up to next car doors, get out, unfold mirrors behind my trailer, fold next pair (Both sides of road) and repeat. Back and forth in and out up and down and so on. Took me a hour.

I had a audience. Some cars I gently rubbed with a beach towel on the rub rails of my trailer (Reefer) hoping their security alarms wont go off. Its that tight.

To this day its around 41 years give or take, I have never ever been inside the limits of Virginia Beach VA. It absolutely holds no attraction to me.

"I wonder if...."

That road did not get TO the interstate after all. I had to drive that big whale through the business district. People were not happy.

A slightly better question is: ".. Maybe if ...."

anything that involves making a choice don't.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    did good except that you should have had the tow truck tow you somewhere to park, pc isn't meant for this situation.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

5. Rdhrdh48

Rdhrdh48 Bobtail Member

Aug 25, 2021
    hello .. I just got a job at a wrecker service in Texas. Driving a rollback and only get paid per tow 25 % each tow . I bring the company truck home but I am on call 24 hrs and my question is is it normal to not be paid per hour but 25 percent each tow.. but still be required to be in the office at business 9 am to 5 pm even know I'm not being paid to be there ?

• Truckers Report Jobs