Newbie Starting Soon

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rowekmr, Jan 8, 2018.

1. rowekmr

rowekmr Light Load Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hello
    I used to drive straight trucks for our school system in Chicago back in the mid 90's with a Class B (self taught) then got into construction and occasionally drove their support straight trucks. I changed careers and didn't drive trucks but construction union offered training on Class A's so about 7 years ago upgraded my license (no schooling) and only have towed my own recreational trailers and a short time I did RV transporting in IN.

I have always admired the truck drivers and thought about getting back into the transportation industry but since I work full time can only do it part time and those jobs are far in between and most jobs require 1-2 years experience. I found a local part time job shuttling semi trucks and trailers in between a maintenance shop and their clients locations. I was frank with the interviewer told him I have been inactive awhile but I have a spot less driving background, willing to learn and do extra and I had a strong work history. I was hired and took a driving test with a 30+ year retired truck driver with who I was also honest about my background but passed it with flying colors even though he said I need more practice backing into tight spots. If hired I hope to gain experience and when I retire from my current job drive full time.

Any advice on what else I should do to prepare for a career with the trucks? Any advice on the current potential job shuttling trucks and trailers locally?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keep up the part time work. When you're ready, FFE (Frozen Food Express) has school in Chicago and you can do a refresher course there plus have a decent full time driving job. Their school is at Prairie State College in Chicago Heights.
    You won't need the full cdl course; just a refresher to bring you up to date on the regulations, Elogs, etc.
    If you don't want to pull refrigerated trailers, other companies have the same program in other states that you can attend.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

rowekmr and Puppage Thank this.
  4. rowekmr

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I have been working the new gig going on 3 weeks and I am excited/nervous at the start of each day. I am learning a lot here especially working alongside a semi retired truck driver. Watching him maneuver I realize I just hold a Class A CDL not a real truck driver yet lol

rustyswife Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which company are you working for? Seems you're doing ok in a short period of time.

6. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    You're on the right path. Keep watching.

Keep your bumper clean.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  7. Bad Infuence

Bad Infuence Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2018
    North Carolina
    Whats the goal, to go OTR? Local TT driving jobs will be hard to get with no recent TT experience . Some OTR companies offer refresher courses or time with a trainer then spend at least 1-2 years driving then you should be good to go job wise driving TT.

8. rowekmr

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I am working for Penske. They rent/lease trucks and trailers to various corporations. The ones that I service so far are Dunkin Donuts and YRC (used to be Roadway). We shuttle trucks or trailers or both from shop to their locations.

I guess I am doing ok I haven't hit nor broken anything yet. Ironically my partner/trainer has 30+ years in trucking and in between his lectures on what I should be doing one day tailing him he side swiped a concrete barrier with a spotter truck. I guess he wasn't used to the seating position towards the middle of the truck not on the left side lol

I am amazed at how quiet and smoke free these modern trucks are. When I drove in the 90's we carried starting fluid and smelled like diesel smoke at the end of the shift. These trucks start up very easily when not plugged in and are relatively smokeless.

I have driven 2 automatics and it was weird. They didn't shift quick and crisp like a car's automatic it was slower like someone was actually still shifting. I liked the ease of drive but they seemed slower esp from standstill and weird to do close quarter maneuvering but maybe I just have to adjust to their characteristics.

9. rowekmr

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I am not sure which was to go from here. I was hoping this driving would count as exp and I could eventually move into a job with better pay and benefits (current one has NONE). I looked on CL last night and there was a few PT driving jobs one only required 6 months of recent experience. It appears the less experience you have the less the pay or benefits but I understand that is true in most industries. Those with most experience and clean records can command a higher price.

TripleSix Thanks this.
  10. rowekmr

Jul 9, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks!!! And I am keeping my mirrors clean too lol

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider will probably give you a full time job, plus pay for a refresher course to bring you up to date. They'll also pay for full cdl school, then give you a good job. No experience required!
    Another Chicago potential driver was on here this week asking about getting started. I checked www.schneiderjobs.com and they have two good Chicago jobs listed and will pay for school. Both jobs are tanker and the one with regional runs pays avg. $65K and the other one is OTR and avg. pay is $75K.
    I've pulled tankers and been around them for 5 years, so that pay is accurate.
    You can still check out FFE (Frozen Food Express) in Post #2. No experience required for either company; FFE or Schneider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.