Newbies, Wannabes... high Dollar Income

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kittyfoot, Nov 10, 2010.

  1. outerspacehillbilly

    outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

    4,349
    2,431
    May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    0
    Really? It looks like you weren't cut out for it since you say your an ex-trucker in your details, unless of course your a liar. If that's the case then what you said is no good either way. :biggrin_25511: Besides everything he said is pretty much spot on.
     
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. frdr

    frdr Medium Load Member

    498
    206
    Aug 25, 2007
    houston, tx.
    0
    Didn't say I disagreed with the post. Everything he said is correct.

    I've said the same stuff on numerous posts myself.

    The attitude here is if you don't like it leave. Complaining won't do any good.

    It is what it is.
     
  4. Kittyfoot

    Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

    2,092
    3,056
    Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    0
    frdr. Sorry I wasn't here for this; had to go run a load of MDI.

    Not complaining bud, been around way too long to let sh-- bother me much. Just trying to get the truth to some wannabes and such. As you can see there's still people posting "how much can I make" threads.

    Y'know, just on this last trip I met the person who bothers me the most with the "new breed"... a guy flat broke, already used up his cash advance and nothing to eat. Bought him an Arby's (he didn't even bother to say thanks). Walked by his truck a bit later and the little SOB is sitting in there playing vid games. Can afford vid games but can't eat.

    Ah well, it's a different world.:biggrin_25513:
     
  5. chompi

    chompi Road Train Member

    5,653
    3,485
    Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    0
    Well you can rest assured, just like his truck in the truck stop, he won't be going anywhere in life! Willing to bet he bought a pack of cigarettes before you bought him a sandwich!
     
  6. Powell-Peralta

    Powell-Peralta Road Train Member

    1,585
    241
    Jul 17, 2007
    0
    i would agree with everything stated here. However, i also believe it depends on the individual as to how much s/he makes.

    For example i knew a 21 y.o. who made over $50K his first year. i know this because i did payroll.

    a) this was his first driving gig.

    b) this was in 2001 mind you. So that may be like making 60K now.

    c) It was at a food distributor. My point is you may have to do some work to get the money, but if you seek the money, you'll probably find it.


    The government isn't the problem; In my opinion factors that will affect how much you make are:

    a) Your managers---are they sociopathic/psychopathic or not. Is the sales team doing their job. Is the company organized right?

    b) Co-workers/other drivers---are they sociopathic/psychopathic or are they upstanding individuals?

    c) luck

    d) Most importantly---yourself. How bad do you want the money? Also, you have a great influence over "c".
     
  7. Moosetek13

    Moosetek13 Road Train Member

    15,164
    19,393
    Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    0
    I'm a newbe, but I don't have those high expectations.

    I want to drive, and from reading these forums I understand even more what the lifestyle is.

    But, if I make 30K in my first or second year it will be more than I have ever made.

    I am a loner at heart, and I am a driver at heart. I prefer my own cooking over anything else (even if it's just a Cup-o-Noodles and peanut butter sandwich), and I am not afraid to try something new.

    The hardest part for me will be being with a trainer for a couple months, but I'll handle it.

    I am intelligent enough to realize that what recruiters tell me is, at best, unrealistic for the average person, and at worst a flat out lie. So I am here to gain the insight I need to make it in this industry.

    Kittyfoot, your posts are well received. Thanks for doing your best to keep those of us that are really not cut out for trucking out of the business. Hopefully, I won't be one of them.
     
    bowtieboy Thanks this.
  8. Moosetek13

    Moosetek13 Road Train Member

    15,164
    19,393
    Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    0
    To me it is not how badly I want the money but, how much do I want to be a professional trucker.

    As for luck...

    The more skill I have, the less luck I require.
    The reverse is true, of course.

    But I would rather depend on my skill, than on my luck.

    Luck has failed me more times than my skill.
     
  9. Kittyfoot

    Kittyfoot Crusty Ancient

    2,092
    3,056
    Sep 21, 2009
    Sorrento, Louisiana
    0
    Don't want to keep anyone out of the business as such, just want y'all to know the realities. Kinda like marrying Paris Hilton and expecting her to suddenly become sane.:biggrin_25525:
     
  10. highspeed1972

    highspeed1972 Light Load Member

    145
    80
    Jul 23, 2010
    Weatherby Lake, MO
    0
    I know that the 20-25 might be an average. If average is what one shoots for then that is what to expect. I personally have high expectations of myself and would not ever consider myself average at anything in life. If people would stop going to the companies that treat them as sub human the average would be much higher. Why would anyone go to a mega starter when there are so many companies that will treat their drivers better?

    I am a wanna be that is working in a great secure office job. I did drive 17 years ago for a couple of years and even way back then I made close to 50 grand a year. Yes I worked lots of hours and very hard but that is reality. If people are warned to stay away from certain companies and do not listen, fine I guess what the deserve. But for me when the time comes I will be checking into Mav, WS, Roehl and a few others as they have some of the best reputations for starting out.
     
  11. 123456

    123456 Road Train Member

    10,555
    5,748
    Oct 22, 2010
    32179
    0
    If you think those are the best starter companies,

    research some more !!!
     
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.