newcastle to rockhampton

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by mick.j, Jul 22, 2013.

1. mick.j

mick.j Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2013
    hi all
    Looking to travel from Newcastle to just north of Rockhampton in September, taking three days via the New England hwy its about 1600ks to where I am going, planning to tow.
    I plan about 700ks first 600 2nd and the remaining on the third day, my Q is which are the better stops to have a feed and a shower for the end of each day {at about the above distances} and also a nice cold beer? or maybe I should say beer first:biggrin_255:then feed then shower. any way, if you get my drift some feed back would be great.

safe travelling all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mrrolly

mrrolly Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    If you like to travel at 100,80,50,80,100,80,50 all day then thats about as good as New England Hwy is these days. But, it's a lot quieter than the Pacific Hwy for one but in a truck the ever changing speeds drives me nuts.
    Last trip I did from Townsville to Sydney about 3 months ago was back down through Roma to St George, Moree to Narrabri and then out thru Gunnedah onto the New England Hwy back to Sydney.

Have a look at going up thru Gunnedah to Narrabri then on to Goondiwindi (via Kamilaroi & Newell Hwys) that's just over 620Ks.
    Goondiwindi thru Miles brings you out just West of Rocky on the Capricorn Hwy about 670Ks and you miss all the BS of Brisbane as well.
    The Leichhardt Hwy (A5) is a tad bumpy in a truck from Goondiwindi thru Miles.

It's something to work with - so good luck with the trip Mick :)

4. mick.j

mick.j Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2013
    that's great info mrrolly I will have a look and let you know if I get the plan right.

5. mrrolly

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Good luck with it Mick. I hate traffic so I tend to go inland when possible. That Pacific Hwy is a nightmare as can be the Bruce Hwy up the Qld coast. Different courses for different horses we say - Google Maps can help you plan the trip/mileages a bit as well.

Safe travels

6. mick.j

mick.j Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2013
    had a look I think I will travel Newcastle to goondi first day looks to be about 600k then go through to dulula 2nd day its about the same distance then the rest on the last day, I am in a older patrol so those speeds you spoke of are the norm for me when towing. Mrrolly do you know of any stops in these areas which supply good food and a shower?

7. mrrolly

Aug 6, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    There is a Roadhouse size BP on the Cunningham Hwy at Goondiwindi that has food and showers, next door they have a Maccas as well....plenty of parking - its just after the big roundabout. It pulls you up just before the turnoff to Leichhardt Hwy (A5) to take you on to Kulula the next day. Never been up that far, I'd had enough of the A5 by Miles, got sick of stopping every 20-30 mins to restack a load of truck tyres cause the road was so bouncy LOL.

Might be a different story in a 4wd tho

8. mick.j

mick.j Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Cheers mrrolly that's a great help

mrrolly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.