Night Driving Glasses

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by ChadFelix, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ChadFelix

ChadFelix Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2017
    California
    Has anyone tried these yellow glasses? What are your thoughts and do you recommend them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I wear a pair of standard shooting glasses which happen to be closer to pink than yellow. It has it's own prescription lenses behind the main shield.

The problem with these is that they scream gun to anyone who has ever seen a pair at the range. Most especially police officers. There is a generic yellow set big enough to go over glasses that has done well for decades but the lens on those are not good quality, meaning they get scratched or damaged over time and need replacement. Unfortunatley they are very close to the type used at the range and scream gun to anyone familiar with them.

But such as it is, I wear them at night anyway when driving. It cuts down on the excessive LED light pollution which imho has gotten really bad. Some nights I wear regular sun glasses believe it or not. But not too much because that fits the profile of a drug user whose eyes let in too much light at night.

I am working on the workbench at home using a variety of yellow lens type material similar to that used for filtering camera lens and if I get it just so I will be able to snap them over my regular glasses at night and get by with that. But it will be home made and somewhat rough.

Ultimately I don't drive much at night. And the excessive lighting from oncoming cars is a problem that contributes to that behavior change. There isnt anything out here in the south worth doing that late into the evening.

Oldironfan and ChadFelix Thank this.
  4. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    I have used them in the past with minor benefit. My kerataconus makes minor glare pretty bad. Best yellow tint for night driving I have used is Stanley eye protection glasses from Walmart! Works best for dawn/dusk for me.

ChadFelix Thanks this.
  5. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    buy an inexpensive pair, and try them out. i had used them in the past (i am speaking of the yellow shooters glasses) and i loved them. sad thing, they were RayBans, and real glass, and i dropped them....

6. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I have a pair of Wiley- X night drivers that I thought worked much better then the yellow lens ones. They cut thru everything much better. Downside for them is when you take them off the whole world looks monochrome for a couple minutes while your eyes readjust.

The standard yellow lens glasses did help, I just found these to be much better personally.

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Tried them years ago. They reduce glare, downside is your ability to spot wildlife is reduced significantly so if there are moose/elephants in your area not a good plan.

ChadFelix and magoo68 Thank this.
  8. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you forgot the circus monkeys...them SOB's are every where.....

ChadFelix and Puppage Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You saw it too? :oops:

ChadFelix Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    but obviously, he didn't see the circus monkeys!!!!

not4hire Thanks this.
  11. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Who do you think was driving the elephant?

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.