No 2 a.m. parking at truckstops?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by TIMPTE 527, Oct 5, 2018.

1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    You all make me tired just thinking about running like that lol. 10k a month is busy for me. I do miss closing the left door and riding all night though. Running three loads a night ain't always fun..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I love running all night... Leave out just before sundown, pull into park just after sun up to have my choice of parking spots. Very little traffic all night, even in highly metro areas. And I can plan on running my 11 hrs clear down to the last 5 mins without worrying about parking cause all the solar powered drivers are just headed out on the roads when I roll into park.

InTooDeep, Smut, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    You dont need power to run big miles per day. You need a faster truck with at least 75mph governor.

I think I've been seeing lately many loads I've done that were stretched out a day or so more because of the elog clock BS. My ####### pockets are empty.

Rideandrepair and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    If you plan your trip good you dont even need 70 mph... I'm governed at 67 mph, if I plan good and run at night I can get as much as 719 miles in my 11 hrs.

Rideandrepair and Oldironfan Thank this.
  6. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I plan as little as possible. It makes the day more exciting.

The eld makes me upset all the time.
    I think my driving under a clock is coming to an end soon.

I do feel I could drive a old 2 stroke Detroit very well being as upset as I am.
    But that will not likely ever happen.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    No, you don't want an old 2 stroke Detroit. Just a good local gig with no eld's and new gliders.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Better re check your math on that one

9. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Get 1-2yrs in & go local. Then you will be working smarter , not harder. OTR is scam because even a well paying OTR company will pay you less then a mediocre local company for the same hrs worked.

You think I'm crazy? Drove OTR for over 22yrs & I now drive local for 8 mo's now. I will drive around 55,000 miles this yr & make over 65k driving local.& I avg about a 9- 11 hr days doing 3 drop & hook loads with EVERY wknd off & 8 paid holidays. OTR is a lifestyle choice, but not a smart choice if you want a life outside of driving a truck
    Think about it. You are tied to that rig 24/7 for lets say for only a week, which is rare. Thats 168 hrs. Out of those 168 you can log 60hrs or 70 out of 192hrs.

So at the minimum you have 38hrs you give to a OTR company free every week X's 40 weeks minimum? 63 days per yr FREE What can you do with 63 days back of your life?

I drive a 2019 Pete 579 daycab & I don't do logs, scales, sit around waiting for services or to get inspections
    No free time to the company, even my 30 min break is paid. Fueling, pretrip? paid.
    Stop whining about the job of OTR & do something about it, like I did My biggest complaint now? I have to get in my car & drive 6.5 miles to & from work each day. What a drag LOL.

Oldironfan, x1Heavy and driverdriver Thank this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    One of my jobs in a cubicle as a temp at a desk manning a compute. Inventorying books.

HEY, 12 now, Lunch. GO.

So much for the peaceful workday.

That OTR solved so many issues over the years and reduced many more to simple business problems easily hammered out with dispatch.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  11. TIMPTE 527

TIMPTE 527 Medium Load Member

May 28, 2018
    On a side note...There are a few threads about the inconsiderate slobs that have taken over the industry. Making it miserable for the few of us left out here with pride in our appearance and hygiene. When you drive at night the scum of the trucking industry are sleeping. Their not stinking up the c-store, blocking the fuel islands, cutting 5' in front of your hood when they pass, etc. I've come to the point where during the day I drive 55 mph so all the maniacs just fly by me cutting each other off, tailgating, break checking and jockeying for position like their in a nascar race. At night you can drive the speed you want and relax. It really is a different experience driving at night. The biggest problems with night driving are scheduling (p/u and deliveries most open during day) and when winter comes because of visibility and temp. issues are usually worse at night.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.