No Cat scale before State scale

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hunts2much, Nov 14, 2009.

1. outerspacehillbilly

outerspacehillbilly "Instigator of the Legend"

May 28, 2009
    The Who's Your State
    You can actually use the state scale to get legal if it is truly the closest scale to you. You better be sure it is though. Feed mills and co-ops are a good place to scale if there are no truckstops nearby.

hunts2much Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hunts2much

hunts2much Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Michigan
    This is kinda what I assumed the answer would be. It just seamed to make too much common sense to be legal.:biggrin_25523:

I mean it just seams inevitable a driver is eventually going to run across a situation where the state scale is the only option.

I guess a call to the state scale in this situation after exhausting all other options but before crossing would be wise. I would love to have a reg highlighted in the green book just for this special occasion but I can't find it and I'm starting to think it's a gray area. All well seams to be on par for this profession.:biggrin_25517:

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    News to me.

I was told I had to be legal when I crossed, otherwise ticket would be issued when I asked about it.

Cranky Yankee Thanks this.
  5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
  6. Rollover the Original

Rollover the Original Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Springfield,MO
    Thanks Hardlyevr for that link!

There used to be a book we could get that had a lot of coop scales and other places that were either free or charged a few dollars.

I have the gauge on the dash and can pretty much tell what my weights are and it doesn't bother me at all to use and old axle scale or coop. Cat and the truck stops are getting to expensive now and if Cat or a truck stop is the closest then I'll use them but most scales are pretty accurate unless you are really close to the legal limit for the area you're driving (remember the NW has different weight limits!) then if need be I'll do a CAT Scale! Who remembers the $5 CAT? Long time ago!

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I've had several expedite drivers tell me military personnel using U-Hauls asked them for a weight ticket because their truck was considerably higher than the U-Haul . They were paid by the weight on self moves

8. Scuby

Scuby Heavy Load Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Roadmedic it was suggested to me to call ahead to the Scalehouse and explain the Situation and ask if you scale out. It depends on the mood of the scalemaster he/she may say no and you may get an inspection too.

9. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

I've likely missed something, but how do you get the phone number for the scalehouse? I know of guys that have called, but never thought as to how to get the number.:biggrin_25517:

10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I sure would not want to bet the cost of an overweight ticket on this! Not unless you can show us where it is written into the law.

11. hunts2much

hunts2much Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Michigan
    But what other recourse is there assuming crossing the state scale is the only option period? There has got to be some leniency in a case where you simply don't have a choice. I too would love to see some proof written into law but I'm not holding my breath. I've searched and searched and can't find anything relating to this in the regs. I realize this is a situation that doesn't come up often but surely there has to be some form of a law pertaining to it. I know if I received a ticket in this situation I would pay serious $$$ to fight it just for the principle.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.