No charges Humbolt Bus Crash !?!?!?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Trailerdragger, Jun 10, 2018.

1. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Yes it is definitely confirmed that the truck run a stop sign.
    The main investigation is as to why he did it, sun in eyes? Smart phone? Logbooks?

tinytim and not4hire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    We don't know if he was trained at all, he had his license for a year prior to this incident but was he actually using it?
    I still maintain however, that he had enough training to know what to do at a stop sign.

I have to agree with you there, I run into all sorts of people who don't know the difference between Sikh people and Islamic people.
    Dropping the family name in favor of Singh is, in my never to be humble opinion, going to open you up to more of this sort of stuff. Having the same name as someone else can occur in any culture.

Racism exists in all races, I would rather we laugh about our differences than fight about them.

tinytim, uncleal13, Zeviander and 2 others Thank this.
  4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Let's start with the charges. This article addresses both the seriousness of the charges and the burden of proof required for a conviction. If nobody died and injuries weren't life altering I don't know if criminal charges would have been laid. There are many accidents and few justify the amount of man hours that were put into the investigation that took place in this case, the type of detail likely needed to ensure criminal charges could be proven.

Now for the question of why people are upset. Speaking for myself there are many crashes that get me upset. There have been a number of high profile ones in the last couple of years where a big truck plows into stopped traffic and innocent people have died, a bunch of them trapped in burning vehicles. There is no good reason for this to happen, it makes the industry look terrible, it's totally senseless and it scares the crap out of me to be at the end of a line of stopped traffic. Just a sitting duck. Far too many drivers don't take driving as seriously as they should and far too many lives are lost.

As for this crash you can't 'take away the death of people'. I see people take stupid risks all the time and get way with it. In this case he didn't get away with it and the results are mind numbing. It's a 'worst fears realized' type of crash and it happened because this driver didn't take driving seriously enough.

When I first read your post I got the impression you don't take driving seriously. Accidents don't just happen and running your 'share' of red lights and stop signs is not the attitude of one who belongs behind the wheel of anything.

I see in another thread that you've recently got your class 1 and will be driving truck. I try not to make too many assumptions based on a single post on the internet so forgive if I'm wrong about your attitude towards driving. Whether you're driving a smart car or hauling jet fuel you have the potential to cause death and destruction.

Driving is to be taken seriously but shouldn't be stressful. If you're going to be driving 10 or more hours a day taking chances will catch up with you sooner or later.

Here's my thoughts on staying safe out there.
    Back off Jack...

Zeviander, Tb0n3, Tazziee and 3 others Thank this.
  5. Tazziee

Tazziee Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2018
    BC, Canada
    Hmmmm, not sure where you came to the conclusion that I did not take driving serious. I am merely saying that we are all human beings and human beings make mistakes (assuming its a lapse in judgement and not something criminal such as drinking and driving), and that is why we all have insurance. Thousands of people on this planet get into car accidents everyday, and I am sure some end in death, however, people are not criminally charged. Accidents happen, most can be prevented and some can't. Don't want to make any assumptions in this case.

6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You seem to have a cavalier attitude towards road safety. Driving faster than you should, longer than legal (on paper logs), maybe you have a brake light out on the back of your truck (but trailer is still good) and you drive it home anyway. Yes most of us make these sometimes poor decisions fairly often. I can even understand blowing through an intersection in the prairies - WHEN YOU CAN SEE REALLY FAR IN BOTH DIRECTIONS! Making a judgement call to blow through that particular intersection is absolutely unacceptable. And we now learn why, we learn the hard way. That particular driver learned the hard way. Perhaps other drivers who made similar "judgement calls" and have gotten away with it for a long time will now make better decisions going forward. If there is even any silver lining to be found in this whole deal.

It is all risk/reward. The risk is way too high for blowing through a blind intersection. For what reward? 2 minutes? That is worlds different from setting your cruise a few notches above a speed limit that's a bit low for a given road / dry road / no traffic. In that situation, go whatever speed you want. When you wreck I ask 2 things: you do not hurt anyone else or their property and you are 100% off the roadway so I do not have to so much as adjust my cruise control. Have at it.

I do place some blame on the province for only adding a flashing light after the previous deadly crash at this intersection. Rumble strips should have been added. If you are not paying attention visually, it doesn't matter what cues you put out there. If you are looking at your phone and drive over rumble strips you should be able to think Maybe I better pay attention here. If they really wanted to make sure nobody blew through it ever again you can design the road with a tight S curve right before the intersection, where it is impossible to make the curve at a higher speed than say, 20 km/h or whatever they design it for. That would be a little extreme in my mind. I like to think we are capable of using our brains in order to avoid these types of crashes. Perhaps I am incorrect in my way of thinking. (I think it will be discovered the truck was moving at a fast speed, 80+ km/h, and then it will be questioned whether it was a decision to run the stop sign, or if road condition or sun was in eyes [not in my mind but it is an argument] or if the driver was distracted or beyond HOS limits or tired. Basicly was it decided to run it or was it really an accident)

7. Tazziee

Tazziee Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2018
    BC, Canada
    Hmmmm, people seems to be misreading what I am trying to ask. Like the previous writer, don't know where you are getting that I have "a cavalier attitude towards road safety". Anyways.....I will leave it that.

8. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    It was the comment about running red lights and stop signs that got my attention.

Zeviander Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    And mine, and others...

Zeviander, magoo68 and tinytim Thank this.
  10. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You all need traffic circles, maybe something else that puts laws of physics in place to enforce traffic laws.

Wisconsin seems to have a love affair with installing them. Otherwise, they're here and there. Many in low speed areas that are too tight just to keep trucks out. Actually, farther up, one of the posts suggested an s curve arrangement to slow them down, or else force leaving the roadway, might not be a bad idea in hindsight.

uncleal13 and tinytim Thank this.
  11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On

Traffic circles are just a bad idea considering the caliber of truck drivers currently on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.