No contact lenses for tanker drivers?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by GolfPro, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    These vapor releases aren't the norm. However, when they do happen you have to be prepared and properly equipped. As an example, if I'm delivering to an oil rig the first things I'm doing is checking windsocks, whether H2S is present and if so getting my H2S monitor clipped on my safety vest. I locate the upwind muster areas, then exit the truck and proceed with my business.

Has my H2S monitor ever gone off? No. Is H2S lethal? Yes. The chances of something happening are slim. The rig operators focus on safety. But every year good men die from H2S exposure.

Stuff happens. Be ready.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lightside

Lightside Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    What sort of stuff does Schneider Bulk haul. Gasoline? Going to give them a call today and see if they will accept me if I offer to pay my air fare there. They told me I need to live near Texas tho.

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm the same way. I hated to wear glasses especially at night. I had cataract surgery on my left eye back in september that's left that eye 20 20 now. Since I'm 20 25 in my right eye I never wear contacts anymore and always keep my glasses close by till I can get that restriction off of me.

Lepton1 and chris887 Thank this.
  5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    No they don't haul gas. For me to list all the products they haul would take all night.

Lightside Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I wore them for a long time, and had issues with.organic dust from chickens causing irritation, and a subsequent scar on one cornea.

When I did haz-mat tanker work, it was observed that contact lenses and anhydrous ammonia were something not to be mixed, and that is a good thing to remember. Any chemical that draws water from anywhere, including your eyes should be treated the same way.

On another note, I farmed with contacts and never had trouble like what got me away from contacts until I started hauling chickens.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. GolfPro

GolfPro Light Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    Ridgeland, SC
    I can't get Lasik because my corneas aren't smooth enough, according to an opthamology scan I took. In any event, I'm okay with wearing glasses for a little while. If I had to wear them all day, though, it would drive me nuts.

8. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I can't assure you of much, but I can guarantee that you could drive for Schneider Bulk for 30 years and wear contacts everyday without anyone ever saying a word. Nobody will check, nobody cares.

Lightside and Canned Spam Thank this.
  9. chris887

chris887 Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2015
    chicago
    It seems companies have a lot of rules that they do not enforce or really care about. They have them to cover their ### legaly. If something happens they are not responsible because they have rules.

10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your comment reminded me of a conversation a friend of mine had with his daughter once. She was upset because she felt it was just as much the man's responsibility as hers to use birth control. I will never forget her fathers reply. The man don't get pregnant YOU DO! Its the same with this topic. The company is not the one that is risking blindness, its YOU!

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Was anyone disputing that?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.