No loads in 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Justflappingmygums, Aug 14, 2018.

1. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    All kidding aside let us know how it goes. There's a tiny part of me that hopes they fire you so that I can advise you on what to do next.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    It'll be much easier if, when you make your calls, to come right out the gate talking about "savings". You will get loads, and they will be dirt cheap, and youll be one of 20 others trying to move the same cheap crap, and MAYBE you'll get lucky and have a carrier call needing to get back somewhere for some emergency and you will make $50.

This type of freight should be right up your boss's alley. Cheap and unreasonable. Scraping the bottom of the barrel.
    If what you say is true, then their expectations will lead them to those kinds of results.

DSK333 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. Justflappingmygums

Justflappingmygums Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    savage
    Even more savage haha, but yeah no, that's a mess I'll never want to be part of, I already have like 15 other brokers that reach out to me daily to see if I can move their cheap freight for them. How is double brokering cheap freight a thing? All it does is waste my time and #### my carriers in the long run.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    AthenaTrans and BoyWander Thank this.
  5. AthenaTrans

AthenaTrans Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Do you have access to Hoovers / D&B? Sounds like you're going after the wrong customers / wrong freight. Any customer that gives you a chance too quickly is a red flag to me, customers who are choosy and take their time are loyal and probably have fair processes in place. Cheap freight = lumber, recyclables, plastics (mostly), paper goods, non time sensitive. Good freight = anything time sensitive; food and bev, industrial chemicals that are needed to keep lines running, automotive industry needs, machinery / materials needed for construction and job sites. Double brokering should not be a thing. If a broker is coming to you needing their freight moved it could be a short term gain, long term loss. Short term, if they pay you want you demand and you make money = win. Long term, you make them look good and their customers give them more freight... not you. Don't touch it.

6. Justflappingmygums

Justflappingmygums Bobtail Member

Aug 9, 2018
    The customers I have, I got because of lucky timing. I'm being humble about it, They were having issues with one of their current brokers and I told them to give me some information to look at, give me something to chew on. 2 weeks later and a lot of correspondence and now I'm primed to ship their freight on 5 trucks all at once, (actual customer wants it all at their location at one time). Also I do a Little research on the companies I cold call as well, If they don't gross over 1 mil a year and have shipping docks at one of their locations then I don't even try to mess with it.

7. AthenaTrans

AthenaTrans Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Concentrate on companies that gross $50mm a year or more. Less than that and the freight is few and far between (in my experience). 5+ loads a week, at a minimum, something you can grow and rely on. Less than that, or more inconsistent than that and you'll be stretched thinly when you get too many of those customers. You want quality over quantity. Think about it. 100 customers shipping 2-3 loads a month is a lot harder to deal with than 10 customers shipping 20-30 loads a month each.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.