No more flashing!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Keith48, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bluebonn

bluebonn Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Texas
    I still flash them over but I noticed a change in the way drivers are today. When I started driving back in the early 90's it seemed like everyone was willing to take the time to flash you over and everyone thanked everyone.

Now days you will be lucky to get 2 out of ten drivers to thank you. Or before you have a chance to even flash them they have moved on over and 2 feet from your tractor.

Dunno I still flash and when I don't get thanked I just say oh well must be one of the new generation drivers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

I'll flash you whether you like it not. If your a lazy selfcentred piece of meat wheel holder that chooses not to say thankyou, you've got the social problem, not me. If you decide not to call me back, that's fine as well, but don't get bent out of shape because I flashed a thankyou at you, for all I know you may have, I've only got two eyes, and sometimes they move in tandem.
    Geez, grow up people!! Watch out!!!!! I might look at you!!!!!!!And if you get too close, I might breathe on your arm!!! Mom,Mom, he's breathing on me again!!!Wwwhhhhaaaaa!

4. corneileous

corneileous Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Podunk, OK
    This one still amazes me that this is a bother to so many drivers.........

That would make to much sense, driver! Most people it seems would rather complain about what you're doing rather than take the initiative to find a solution themselves so they can drive comfortably at night.

Well, this "new" generation driver flashes thanks if you flash me over. Even if you use your brights, night or day.
    I would agree completely if those drivers who expect the flash didn't exist.

5. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    Nobody said anything about "expecting" a flash. It was "IF" you did. :biggrin_25523:I do the same thing, sometimes there is something happening that gets your attention & you don't notice if the other driver flashed you or not. So to be polite & considerate of the other driver I also flash a thank you. Better to do that even if i'm wrong, than to be called a jerk because I never said thank you.:yes2557: :biggrin_25517:

6. Knotme

Knotme Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Driving a Pumpkin, I get passed a lot, if your flying by me I don't flash but if for some reason its taking you a while to pass I will flash.

7. BNR32

BNR32 Heavy Load Member

Aug 20, 2010
    denver, CO
    what i notice a lot is people dont even see when i flash them over. they just stay there forever before they even look in the mirror. thats the explanation i have found way more often than anyone just being rude.

i dont flash everyone, if someones flying by me and theres no traffic behind us i trust them to be able to handle it.
    if its a slow passer, traffic behind them, or in bad weather just to say go ahead and come over and dont worry about spraying me, always.

8. trucker_101

trucker_101 Heavy Load Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Alberta
    One time my wife asked me after I flashed my lights off/on a few times (long line behind) she asked why he wasn't moving back over. I just shrugged my shoulders and said "I guess he's waiting for a written invitation". Thats what it seams like some times?

johnday Thanks this.
  9. TheHealthyDriver

TheHealthyDriver Heavy Load Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Stony Mountain, MB

Many times I've been flashed to come back, however, I hate leaving too little of space, so I flash my running lights as a thank you, and keep going until I feel safe to come back.

The written invite would have taken too long to wait for. :biggrin_25525:

10. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

It could be some of those guys waiting for the invite, aren't looking in their mirrors. I know we've all seen it.

trucker_101 Thanks this.
  11. Tenspeed70

Tenspeed70 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Chittenden, VT
    This solution would be great in a perfect world situation. But also in a perfect world situation we wouldn't be discussing this at all. I take a slight exception to the statement of using your peripheral vision when passing. I don't know the areas you tend to run, but I know in NJ (as many here can attest to I am sure), it's not uncommon to see another vehicle driving at night without headlights. I look directly into the mirrors to avoid colliding with such nitwits.

For me, it's become a habit, and one I am loathe to break.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.