No more super singles?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by double yellow, Nov 25, 2013.

1. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    I never said you have to be a kiss ###. I said you have to pay your dues. You can't start out making 80k a year home every night with holidays and weekends off. Most guys start out Otr being out for weeks at a time and move companies or positions in order to get to the better place. When I started I was out for a month at a time and home for 4 days. Now I'm home every weekend and off every holiday.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I started out with TMC...all holidays off, i could get home every weekend if I wanted, and made 64K. 2 years later I make 100ish after expenses. (O/o). Shouldn't have to spend much time working your way up. There are drivers with 25 years experience making the same as a newbie at tmc.

4. harleyhead

harleyhead Bobtail Member

May 28, 2013
    300,000 on super singles what fantasy world u livin in

5. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    I know a guy who has 300k on his and they still have life left. Half way through you have to rotate front to back

6. harleyhead

harleyhead Bobtail Member

May 28, 2013
    300,000 on super singles 6000 a year savings where r u getting these unrealistic numbers?

7. mattbnr

mattbnr Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Tama,Iowa
    Actually those are fairly accurate numbers on SS I you maintain them correctly and rotate them regularly. Air pressure and rotating the tires and the important things for tire life.

8. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Yea, Air pressure is CRUCIAL. I never let mine get to low and adjust pressure when extreme temp changes occur. 2 nights ago I knew it would be cold so I topped off the tires in the morn. (8f) Now im in jacksonville FL where it is 75. I had to let some out.

9. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Michelin has a pretty informative website. I went through the whole thing and watched a bunch of the videos. They make a pretty convincing case...but...

If they save weight and fuel, and look super cool - why is it still rare to see a truck with them on? They aren't that new anymore.

Hopefully the future is clearer by the time I have to spec a truck.

10. Richter

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Because they loose credibility by making Claims that are not 100% and true and claiming better numbers then reality. Truth is the real #'s are still pretty good. Also, there are a lot of older drivers who wont even consider driving a truck with them because they are simply ignorant. They don't understand them and refuse to drive them for no reason. Many are stuck in their ways of doing things and don't want to change.

11. bergy

bergy Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Since this thread was active about 3 weeks ago, I've been taking an informal survey of truck and trailer tires. I only counted trucks that are highway trucks, that I saw on the I-10. Out of 420 trucks and trailers I saw only one with SS. 1 out of 420!

I love the look of the SS. I love the science behind them. It appears though, the SS have failed horribly in terms of market penetration. I was hoping the SS made sense, but it would appear that anyone buying them is a bit of a test subject.

I thought some of you may have been interested in my findings. I'm not here to debate this either way - I know nothing and am just trying to learn and do my own research.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.