No New Trainees? Till when?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Liahos, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
  3. AppalachianTrucker

AppalachianTrucker Heavy Load Member

May 25, 2014
    Orion Arm
    Schneider was a great first company a handful of years ago and depending on your luck in being assigned a good manager still might be. Maybe.
    Schneider company culture worked when it was private, but the chemistry created by going public seems unhealthy. Your first red flag is Schneider not telling you until the last minute that you wouldn't be going to training. This thoughtless technocratic management is the more the norm at Schneider in employee (driver)-facing management.

It's now possible to work for Schneider for one, two, three, four, five years and not really make any more money per week from year one to year five. With a spectacular one cent per mile automatic raise each year, and a cpm cap after that, there's really no reason to stay with the company unless you need a hobby job.

Look under the hood of the companies you're considering...
    Schneider stock price at 22, barely up from 19 when it went public in 2017. Third of a billion in debt.
    For comparison, Knight-Swift is at 37, Werner is at 40, JB Hunt is at 101.

Trucking companies that focus on making money instead of constantly shaving driver pay and putting off maintenance to create shareholder value will have a license to print money, even in these strange times. Now is not the time to be servicing debt.
    Definitely look elsewhere.

88228822 and Liahos Thank this.
  4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    so has the issue with the endorsement been resolved? if so this may be your chance to get back to tank side.

5. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    What’s the update on this post?

6. dillpickle

dillpickle Bobtail Member

May 28, 2019
    5 years in. Came to swift to be a trainer. Great decision. Otr is only 30 percent capacity of this time period last year. Your best bet is to get on a dedicated account until things get back to normal. The home time on this account is weekly.
    Btw, I have also worked for Schneider. The culture there was bizarre to me and the pay was the worst in industry

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
    Reason for edit: Removed truck number, referral solicitation
    dwells40 Thanks this.
  7. Liahos

Liahos Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Chinatown, again thank you for all the info you have. I meticulously called each and every one on the list. Most had a voice recording and I've left my phone number, awaiting their response. Wiley Sanders called back, sent them all they needed and it seems I might have that job if nothing else better comes along. Their 4-day orientation followed by a 10-week training with instructor driver seems a bit much, particularly at 0.16 com... But if nothing else at least that's there... I also went through the safe process with SWIFT and it seems I probably have an offer there too... I should know in a day or two. It is also possible that she others might call back and I'll follow up so it's still possible for a fresh graduate to start. Some companies, that did respond, however, said they are not doing new driver training for the moment due to the C-19 silliness.

DeadbeatDad

Thank you for your wise words regarding Schneider... I've decided to ditch them even if they call me back now. I've been signed around enough.

CDL endorsement issue can only be solved when the governor opens the DMV office. I've got the TSA clearance, passed the Hazmat and Tanker tests, as evident on my voided permit, but they were not keyed in so don't show up on the CDL and thus on the MVR...

Thank you again to everyone for generously giving advice. Most appreciated.

Bumper Thanks this.
  8. Liahos

Liahos Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Sorry for all the terrible typos... I hope you'll understand

9. Liahos

Liahos Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I meant to also acknowledge Appalachian, dillpickle and fix ...

10. Liahos

Liahos Bobtail Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Infox, I mean, not fix... Forgive my fat fingers

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.