No proof of OTR experience

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Crossbones, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Crossbones

Crossbones Light Load Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    I got my class A back in the early 90s, drove a couple years for a company that doesn't exist anymore and then got into a different line of work. Recently I decided I wanted to get behind the wheel again. Took an 8 hour course, passed my tests and am now looking for work. The problem is that with no way to verify my driving time, (way back before the electronic logging days), I'm anticipating a difficult time getting on with a decent company. Anyone ever hear of a similar situation and how it worked out? Thanks.

Steel Dragon and FOREVER BLESSED Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Try Vero Logistics in Margate,FL.
    Does the IRS keep tax records that far back. If so, get a copy that shows you worked for a trucking company back then.
    Schneider also might hire you since you have the refresher course.
    You may have to go through a longer, company paid, refresher course also. I think Schneider sends drivers through a 40 hour refresher course.
    OK, so try these and maybe luck out:
    Vero Logistics
    Schneider
    Stevens Transport
    Florida Beauty Express
    FFE (Frozen Food Express)-terminals in Miami and Winterhaven & has refresher course & a job.
    Titan Transfer - has refresher & a job.
    Abilene Motor Express - hires all over Florida and has refresher & a job.

Steel Dragon and Crossbones Thank this.
  4. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    I would just apply to the companies that you want to work for, and be honest with them.. On the application put your work history, and if they call tell them you just got out of trucking into a better job, now you want to get back into it and took a refresher course. What's the worse that they could say, no? I wouldn't worry about it too much, companies are pretty much hard up for drivers at the moment... shouldn't be too hard to get into one.

Jazz1, Steel Dragon and Crossbones Thank this.
  5. Crossbones

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    Well...there is a little more to this story. Part of how I got back into this was a trade I made. I built an addition on a couple's house in exchange for a 2007 International 9400. (Good running truck ready to work.) I know better than to try to go solo just yet and was actually hoping to lease myself out to Landstar as I'm not in a position to be at a dispatcher's mercy. I need to pick my own loads and routes. Just not sure how to convince them I know what I'm doing.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  6. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Maybe instead of a picky place like Landstar pick some other company to pull their trailers? If I remember correctly people talking about it, Landstar is pretty picky about what O/O's they pick up.. I'd try a mega.

7. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I thought Landstar rewired at least 2 years experience. Maybe I'm mistaken.

8. Crossbones

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    They told me one. Plus, when I did run, it was flatbed and that's what I told them I wanted to do. That or containers from the ports in Florida. All they want from me is some kind of verification.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Brokers on those load boards also require experience; some as little as a year experience.
    Hopefully, some 0/0's will post some information on insurance also.
    Admiral Merchants does flatbed.
    [​IMG]

10. Crossbones

Mar 10, 2018
    Western NC
    I need info on that, too. It's very obvious I'm in over my head but I'm very lucky that my construction business affords me this opportunity without worrying about starving my family in the process. I just really freaking miss driving, ya know?

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, I understand. I'm addicted to OTR coast to coast trucking, but no desire to be an 0/0.

rabbiporkchop, Jazz1 and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.