No reading on amp gauge

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Loaderlou, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Loaderlou

Loaderlou Medium Load Member

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi folks. Thursday, arriving at my destination, I was retracting my tarp when I smelled something burning. When I retract or extend my tarp, my amp gauge always shows a discharge. Even though the gauge does not show a charge or discharge my tarp still works. The only thing that's not working is my AC compressor. It's fully charged. My volt meter works fine as does everything else. I followed the amp wires until they disappear behind the AC unit. Up until that point there is no damage to the wires. Can anyone tell me where they end up, and could the gauge have made that smell if it went bad? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beemergary

beemergary Light Load Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Somethings putting a big load (amp draw). Shorted wire-bad tarp motor. Look for wires or connectors at gauge looking discolored at gauge. Fuse or relay should kick out before amp gauge gets hot. Got some old Pontiac's 61-63 and the GM boneheads ran all the power thru the amp gauge before fuse box. Voltage regulator goofs up and your amp gauge is going up in smoke. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Loaderlou Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.