No seal and load rejection scenario.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Apr 20, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It did not happen to me yet. However, I had a delivery lately when a warehouse receiver did go out despite a heavy rain to check the seal was present and intact. He said, if it was not sealed or the seal was not matching the BOL they would have to refuse the load. Now, what happens if that little piece of plastic is snapped by a spiteful bird or a human being. So Lets say one day I wake up, do my walk around and see that the seal is missing. Have you had a situation like that, and what then? Is this an insurance claim? Or what are you supposed to do upon the discovery..., call cops and have it reported as a potential theft? I guess, I am making up bad scenarios but sometimes they seal the trailer with those cheap plastic seals instead of wired or metallic seals or even bolts and this makes me uneasy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I haven't had it happen to me, but I had to pick up a load of organic sugar one time. It appeared that the driver broke the seal. They received it, but rejected it. I brought up another load, and took back the one they rejected. The trucking company paid our company, the warehouse, for the round trip.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and TallJoe Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I guess, my concern is that they would reject the load and the shipper would not want back it and I am stuck with it as it sits on my trailer. I am curious of the legality of possession of the product. Do I own the product if the shipper does not want it back (and eventually I have to pay for it?), as they could claim that it could be contaminated or compromised one way or another.

5. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    It's an understandable fear, but maybe a little excessive. In over 16 years of being in the business, I don't know anybody who has had a seal accidently broken by a bird or human. But to be honest, most of the seals I use are bolt seals.

6. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Buy some wire seals and if customer uses plastic seals get him to note your wire seal number on Bol as well..

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    At the pilot in salinas ks I observed a driver leave his truck at fuel island grab his shower bag and go inside I let the truck in line behind him know and the pissed off driver ripped his seal off.. so it does happen I suppose if your a idiot

Badmon, tucker, wore out and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I only park in parking spaces. Who started this idiocy of parking at the fuel island?

Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    To me, a plastic seal is worthless and a bolt or wire seal, or a padlock screams to every piece of trash thief around that there's something worth their time inside.

But with the way the world is, shippers have to do something to protect themselves and their property. Guess it's the best anyone has came up with.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    To me a bolt seal is it simply crossed a border, a lock says it's valuable. Not saying you are wrong in the thieves thinking though.

Where I deliver a seal has to match th3 bol. What happens if we need to open the trailer? Crossdock or inside repairs or whatever... We simply put a new seal on, cross out the old number on the bol and hand write the new number. Quite silly in my mind to require a seal, but accept an obviously switched seal.

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Whenever you pick up a sealed load always check and make sure it matches the bill.When an officer brakes your seal he will put another seal on and sign the bill next to the seal number.

Dave_in_AZ and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.