Non Compete Issues

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by turtlsvn, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Pepper24

Pepper24 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2010
    The article I seem was a California Supreme Court ruling about non compete clause in agreements and it wasn't a broker carrier agreement they ruled the non compete clause as being non valid and illegal in most cases it was in a trucking magazine I don't remember which one.Im no expert either but to my understanding agreements aren't as binding in a law standard as a contract is.and in most all cases you sign agreements with brokers me personally don't know a lot of guys who have back door a broker do know some and either the broker didn't find out or they did and didn't do anything.Do know one who said the broker did learn he did it and the broker stopped loading him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    The thing is, a ruling in California's Supreme Court is only binding in the state of California. Different states have different laws and rulings when it comes to non-competes, and as such OP really needs to consult an attorney.

Pepper24 Thanks this.
  4. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah I'm not debating that noncompetes are basically not enforceable in CA. That's so true that people I know have fled to CA to avoid noncompete's from old employers. There's a reason why they had to relocate though... In most states (mine included) and ESPECIALLY in OH/IL where most of the big brokerages main offices are located you can make freight brokers sign VERY restrictive non competes and then enforce them in court.

5. JHARRIS

JHARRIS Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2017

6. JHARRIS

JHARRIS Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2017
    Hello, I am thinking about getting in the business as well. I have a few trucks. I plan on expanding on that, but also wanted to learn the broker side. I'm scheduled to go school in a month or so. I'm all about business and maybe we can talk and see if we can come up with something that would be mutually beneficial
    For both of us.

7. JHARRIS

JHARRIS Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2017
    I have a small fleet and I'm in the process of going to broker school, maybe we can come up with something that's mutually beneficial to both of us?

8. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Well, first thing's first- can you get your money back? There isn't a broker school/course/book our there that isn't anything more than a thinly veiled sham that's designed to seperate the desperate and the foolish from large quantities of cash. How well do you know sales and customer service? That, at the end of the day is what will make you succesful as a broker. Having assets as you noted, will help, but you've still got to be able to sell your services, and follow through with what you promise.

boredsocial Thanks this.
  9. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah definitely do not give any money to the broker school people.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.