non-stop trailer air freezing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Platinum Blonde Skinhead, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Platinum Blonde Skinhead

Platinum Blonde Skinhead Bobtail Member

Mar 18, 2018
    I've been having an inordinate degree of difficulty with having my trailer not want to air up when you push the red knob in. i pull a fuel tanker with air operated internals, so there's a pressure gauge in my sidebox that tells me how much air is in the tank. It seems to pump up to about 50 lbs and then just stop. I know when it's cold in the winter, moisture can get in there once in a while and freeze up a line feeding the tank; but for crying out loud i've had a lot of trouble this winter like never before in my life. When it was below 0 every morning, it would freeze up once every other week or so. pour a little brake antifreeze in the red line, charge the trailer and it would work fine. the warmer it got, the worse the problem would seem to get. when it warmed up to the 20's durring the day, then the issue would arrise more like once or twice every week. then it warmed into the 40s in the day, but overnight would be around 30....it would freeze up every #### morning. then it really got warm, like the 60's in the day, but down to 40 at night. the thing would STILL not air up. how can there be ice in the line at 40 degrees? at that temp, i haven't had to add any antifreeze. when it reaches 50 lbs and stops climbing, i pull the red knob out, wait a few moments, then push it back in. after that it airs right up and is fine the whole day. i thought maybe my air dryer was bad and had a new cartridge put in. i always drain all my tanks out at the end of every day. what is going on here? i don't wanna have to add alcohol to it all the time cuz that's supposed to be hard on seals and stuff.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Have a shop look at it. IF the trailer's valving and gauge telling you that it's not functioning well, try to find it.

Airbraking I understand. But I tell you off the bat I am NOT a fuel tanker man, I know nothing about these internals you speak of. In my time tanker work involved hand operated valves that were disassembled, sterilized, cleaned and ready for the next day's load.

You talked about gadgets going to 50 pounds. You did not explain what it likes to be at. Or detail the maximum air pressure allowed. I am forced to assume you are unhappy with poor trailer only giving you 50 pounds. Darn thing is not feeling well today is it. What are you trying to get off your gauges to know that everything is 100% in your work?

Now there is a side bar to your posting.

Vapor Lock. I'll explain that if it's foggy and 45 degrees prior to sunrise my car will love it. A old 70's era 351 winsdor that has been modified beyond sanity. I go to work. Park. Come back out to go drive to lunch. It's sunshine and now 72

She aint going to start today. She has the electric for crank and spark off the points and she has the compression. But the actual fuel off that double pump holley is going no where past the venturi because it's vapor locked.

The only way to solve that is to take a cup of gasoline pour it into the carb while cranking, a spark will light it all into a column of fire until the locked vapor cap is burned through. Then she will start once the firing order etc is all settled into the right mixture etc.

I hope you can teach me a little more about your gasoline tanker, I am anxious to learn more. I have a feeling that it's being tempermental for a very good reason, and cannot put my finger on it. There is a spike of really dry humidity working east from where I am and should it hit your area I bet your trailer will dry out and don't need to say.. blow it's nose anymore or take decongestants to work.

4. Freightliner Classic

Freightliner Classic Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Rome GA
    When the line froze it probley cracked it

5. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    ..."air operated internals"....so the air is going somewhere other than to brakes and suspension? I wonder if there isn't a bad valve in those internals somewhere.

6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Air internals..... just put the power service air line treatment to it..... summer is almost here.

4A3E3604-6B2D-4F19-8EDD-847BDB75F2E3.jpeg

How old is the trailer ?

Does it hold air while loading and unloading...?

Is there any product in the air internal lines....?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Platinum Blonde Skinhead

Mar 18, 2018
    sorry, i guess i didn't elaborate. the "internals" i speak of are air operated valves at the bottom of each compartment. you flip a switch in the sidebox to open these valves when you are ready to unload. the pressure gauge in the sidebox is connected to the trailer's air tank to let you know you have pressure. if you dont have pressure, the valves wont open and you cant unload. the valves aren't freezing. they work just fine as long as there's air in the tank. the air isn't getting from the glad hand to the trailer's air tank. the pressure in the trailer's tank is normally around 120 psi, the same as the tractor. the trailer is a 2008. it doesn't leak, and there is no product in the internals lines.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Platinum Blonde Skinhead

Mar 18, 2018
    i've already asked 3 different of our company's shop guys and they don't know what to do.

9. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    are you certain there is not an auxiliary tank the pressure gauge reads from? on my trailers with air ride and kicker roll, all the bags run from an auxiliary tank. that tank feeds from one of the two main air tanks and is regulated. the main tanks have to reach 90 psi before the regulator will allow air to pass to the auxiliary tank. this is to prevent a blown air bag from depleting air from the main system and causing your maxis to apply. if so equipped, that regulator valve may be bad, not allowing air to flow to the auxiliary tank. may not be a freezing issue at all.

the regulator looks like this

[​IMG]

Lepton1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    In thinking what Troy is thinking. Maybe there are two tanks and the check valve that lets air from one to the other is NFG?

11. Platinum Blonde Skinhead

Mar 18, 2018
    that's interesting. i didn't know auxillary tanks were a thing. every trailer in the past that i've blown an air bag on has caused a massive air leak that needed to be bypassed in order to keep driving. having a check valve sounds kinda nice..but this trailer only has one tank back there.

Lepton1 and Troy_ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.