Northwest Without jakes

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cummins525, Jul 31, 2019.

1. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Enjoy cabbage without a Jake.
    Take your time and go real slow and you'll be okay.

Lepton1, bzinger, Bean Jr. and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Way to get serious for no real reason chief. Theres probably a few thousand genuine smart ### comments elsewhere you could go police. Maybe start with your own

Why would i want water tanks hes the one without jakes?

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Reply noted.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Idk if they are still doing construction on cabbage but i went thru about a month ago and its down to 1 lane going down westbound, if u going without jakes just be careful for the crazies hauling ### 55mph down thru there

6. MM71

MM71 Heavy Load Member

Jun 28, 2008
    AZ
    ... construction is still going on.

Cabbage is not the only hill. Everywhere you used a jake for an extended period of time is a place that can get you into trouble.

Buddy of mine that owns a crapcadia and has 40+ years of CMV experience had his jake switch fail near Boise on an overnight run, had to make an on time delivery in Portland. He had the presence of mind, patience, and skill to make it happen. ... did say that he never wanted a 60's flashback ever again. And that he may have #### his pants a couple of times.

... best of luck to the op. I'm sure if you chance the trip a few times ... you'll probably get rear ended by May non driver.

bzinger, Intothesunset and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Your water will flash into steam and go away in a puff before they reach 1500 degree F drums and pads. That's why we use airbraking. Regular fluid will combust and burn.

I can almost sit in that tractor he described. The OP that is. Just ease her up Cabbage, your first big barrier on the Old Oregon Trail. Note the speed at which you are between torque and high RPM pulling easy to the top in a correct gear, whatever that is.

WRITE DOWN with chalk on your glass that gear and speed. THAT will be your max downgrade Cabbage, you come off that one with about 3 gears before you reach the one you ran it up hill in.

Old saying

Climb in a gear go down in that gear. Easy. Everyone knows you are a old iron and will not trash talk you too much.

REMEMBER... keep your mind on your nose. That burning is your first clue before haze come off your overheated wheels in braking. Make sure you apply around 8 pounds application in long easy periods to hold a drift speed most of the way down. Sometimes the gravity will hold her, maybe take a gear down or let her lean against the Red line of your engine.

Always without fail save something for yourself on that hill. The rest of them are not of any concern really. Just that one.

Coming east, remember past the scales to lookout fort point is easy.. but she falls away straight away at that point. That is what gets some of the people.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    86scotty, Intothesunset and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. iceman32

iceman32 Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2014
    I like to go down a downgrade with fully proper functioning jakes. I think you should get them.

It’s better to have jakes and go down a mountain at 30mph, than go down a mountain with burnt brakes and die 35 years early.

9. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    I've never stopped at those view points.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Me neither. No need.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not necessarily. Even between death and life you can still make a decision on how to get that truck slowed or stopped even if it means damage.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.