Northwest Without jakes

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cummins525, Jul 31, 2019.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Slow and steady, you'll be fine. Take the cabbage too fast and you'll wind up as coleslaw at the bottom.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Nothing more relaxing than finding a good nose in spot in the back row at arrowhead and once the sun goes down if ur lucky u can watch flames come down the mountain, its like the ghost rider movie lol

x1Heavy, Linte_Loco and SteveScott Thank this.
  4. FlaSwampRat

FlaSwampRat Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2019
    Valrico FL
    I was wondering about that because I got a truck at work the other day that had a set back steer axle and it ride kinda rough, I was wondering if it was being so close to the axle that made it that way.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Jake on a Cat is about as effective as sticking your hat out the window. PacBrake is the way to go. Unless you find Super Jake parts in which case you’re buying a PacBrake anyway

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im not sure where you find that idea that a kitty does not know how to deal with a Jacobs. Just red line the #### thing and wait until bottom. Mind the oil pressure and temp.

7. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Nothing new to add it's all been said multiple times. But think about this, you bought an old truck with no Jake's. Thats how they were made back then. I remember when it was common to say only those *fancy, rich* owner operators have Jake's. (Not going into riding the trailer breaks, to save the trucks).
    It's still around, not in junk yard, it wasn't scraped. So I bet it's been up and down every bump,hill,mountain,grade there is.

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Absolutely. I have had the opportunity to drive other cab overs or even cranes where you sit in front of the steers. Even with air ride it's a rough ride. Give me a conventional with a long wheel base.

I drive a Pete 389 now. Having those steers FAR in front of me makes for a much smoother ride.

x1Heavy, tscottme and FlaSwampRat Thank this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Depends on the suspension, probably the smoothest truck I have ever drove was an old cabover. It depends on the suspension, more than where the seat is mounted, until you get one of the setback where the seat is acttualy out front of the axle and creats that whip affect.
    All that said the truck will have pete suspension, so will not be a good ride, may be decent, but will no way be good.

FlaSwampRat and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. Fold_Moiler

Fold_Moiler Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Jakes on my c12 just make noise until you wind it up. All them are like that, over 2k they work great.

D.Tibbitt, Intothesunset and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I think you’re full of it. My B model has a strong engine brake. I’m sure it’s all in the adjustment.

I’ve had jakes fail 2-3 times going down a hill. I think it’s good to experience driving without one. In 10 years there won’t be a driver on the road that will believe you did it

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.