Northwest Without jakes

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Cummins525, Jul 31, 2019.

1. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    The PacBrake for a 3406 put up 30% more braking horsepower than a 346D Jacobs would. The P39 PacBrake for the C15’s seriously outperform the Jacobs. If you buy a “SuperJake” from Jacobs you are buying a licence built P39 PacBrake. When i started out maybe 1 truck in 10 had a Jake on it. Pretty much an owner-operator thing in those days.

Intothesunset and x1Heavy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    I currently have a engine brake in a 3406B that will about stop the truck dead and I've had PacBrakes (1995 N14 red top comes to mind) that all they would do is purr like my wife's cat and gain speed. Again I say it's all in how they're adjusted. If any driver needs more engine brake than what my B model has they're doing something wrong and that's all I have to say about that. Your mileage may vary.

Intothesunset and stwik Thank this.
  4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have been driving these rigs since before there was a B and 3406 happens to be one of my favorite all time engines.
    By far my favorite as far as mechanical engines, and you are the very first I have ever heard make the claim that the jakes were as good as a cummins, even with the problemetic super jake. Now give me jakes coupled with a retarder, and well talk.

D.Tibbitt, Intothesunset and x1Heavy Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I appreciate the education on the other available versions of braking. It should only have taken me about oh... 35 years to have it.

I think that whatever there is if the truck had it, I made it work.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  6. kranky1

kranky1 Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I had an ‘88 3406 Brakesaver engine with a PacBrake on it. Most braking power I ever had in an on-highway truck

Intothesunset and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I stand corrected, I have now heard it twice in my life.
    There are lots of B models still running the haul road here. These guys do not mind spending big bucks to improve their rigs, including some have even tried the 14000 driveline electric retarders. Many either had a retarder to start with or added them, but I have never heard the claim that any b model jake was on par with the cummins brakes.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.