Not a smart move for a guy hauling Haz-Mat.

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by Kapn, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tsavory

tsavory Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2013
    Paoli, IN
    got to admit I don't get the bia bia

I do say seeing one coming at you can spook the hell out of anyone had to hit the shoulder one day because someone passed like that but it was dry and a bit wider but still puckered up a bit.

OldHasBeen Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Amen!

I recall in the early 80's coming from California when I entered New Mexico on the southern route it started snowing very heavy after pulling though the scales. The traffic was light & I hammered down hoping to get ahead of the snow. When ever I came up to pass I would slow down & would not pick my speed back up until I got ahead of them. I had one car, a big shiny Cadillac that passed me & I figure he was going at least 80 MPH, maybe over 90.

I did not run out of the bad weather, after passing Las Cruces, New Mexico it turned into solid ice, from there to Midland, TX I ran about 35 to 45 MPH, the 45 MPH was only when I was coasting down the hill sides.

tsavory Thanks this.
  4. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    In one article, he was stated as doing 80km/h in a 90km/h zone. Which is about 49 in a 55. Given that someone who travels in northern Ontario should be used to driving on snow, I don't see that as unreasonable.

He obviously wasn't catching up to anyone.

OldHasBeen Thanks this.
  5. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The OPP caught the Frightliner driver.

6. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    True, no one was in front of him & I suspect if they were he would have been going slower than the 49 MPH & would have left plenty of space between them.

Plus when we watch the video we know that truck is going to pull out so we are expecting it, its for sure he was not expecting it to pull out into his lane in that curve & he did pretty good, perhaps he did much better than many of his worse critics on here.

7. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    There's been many times I've rounded a bend on a two-lane road and seen the appearance of two vehicles side-by-side simply because you can see both their headlights (it works better when one vehicle is larger than the other to account for one appearing smaller). It takes a moment until you're fully back in a straight line that you can see one is actually behind the other. I think it's safe to say when he rounded the bend, that it looks like the truck is behind the plow and then realizing that he's trying to edge out beside the plow and isn't going back behind the plow.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    He would have been much easier to catch if they swapped paint.

9. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...in-near-crash-video-that-went-viral-1.2535538

Big Don and AfterShock Thank this.
  10. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Probably. Of course that would likely mean a much uglier scene. I'm thinking all involved are glad that didn't happen.

SHO-TYME Thanks this.
  11. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    Heh, guy crying on the cam was obviously a liberal. There were times I was caught off guard and I was totally focused and not screaming.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.