Not A Trucker...

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by tech_worker, Jun 28, 2021.

1. tech_worker

tech_worker Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Northern Virginia
    Hello,

I'm a 47 year old tech worker who hates office work. I absolutely ####### hate it. For the past five or so years, I have thought about becoming a trucker, because, from the outside looking in, it appears that it's a profession free of office politics. It seems like it's primarily a solitary profession. You pickup a load, and delivery it all on the open road (Apologies if that is an oversimplified view of trucking).

The only that stopped me from getting a CDL and becoming a trucker is the huge salary cut. Going from $170K per year to $40K was a bridge to far for me with a mortgage, car payment, etc.

Fast forward to 2021, my employer was bought out and my restricted stock units liquidated. I took the proceeds and paid off my mortgage, car and credit cards, with a year's salary still in the bank. The only expenses I have is just insurance, and household expenses.

My hatred of the workplaces is ever increasing and now that I'm debt-free, the idea of becoming a trucker is back in focus.

My coworkers think I am crazy to leave the technology field to drive a truck. At this point, I'm not concerned about status. I just want to leave the office.

I guess my questions are:

1. Is there an abundance of work?

2. Since I have some cash, should I buy my own rig?

3. Which type of hauling should I look at after CDL school, and which type should I transition to after a few years experience?

4. Is there such a thing as contract trucking? What I mean is can I pick and choose my jobs? I don't want to do the 9-to-5 thing anymore.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    You’re not the first tech to leave and become a trucker. Best of luck to you.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't buy a truck yet; wait until you have a couple years experience or 1 yr. at least.
    Become a member of www.OOIDA.com which is a business website for the owner-operator.
    ~
    Meantime, where is you location; nearest city/town.
    No truck driver makes as low as $40G these days.
    You can start out at about $60G - $65G per year.
    Depending on where you are located, can move on up the pay scale relatively fast.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    NavigatorWife and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yeah, there's dozens of them on this forum that got frustrated with office politics and became truckers.

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's two decent companies that will hire you from approved cdl schools. Contact them, if interested, and ask which school in your area they hire from.
    ~
    Heniff Transportation Systems, LLC. | Heniff Transportation
    Heniff Transportation Systems, LLC.
    Heniff Transportation is a full solution services provider focused on being a leader in safety and technology. With nearly 100 locations and nearly 2000 drivers strategically placed across the united states, we provide innovative supply solutions for our customers.
    [​IMG]
    ~
    Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. (ODFL)
    Investor Relations
    Old Dominion Freight Line, Inc. is one of the largest North American less-than-truckload (“LTL”) motor carriers and provides regional, inter-regional and national LTL services through a single integrated, union-free organization.
    [​IMG]

Coffey Thanks this.
  8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    good state for jobs, bad state for truckers. lol

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You mean, like I-81?

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    The big issue these days is the drug test. All companies are required to give drug tests; some do urine and some do hair follicle.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. tech_worker

tech_worker Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2021
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for this information.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.