Not good enough for Werner?wtf

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by a_kiraly, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    We all know that many new hires wash out AT orientation, but, how about the ones that get set up for orientation and then back out for whatever reason, legit or not. There's a lot of prepping for these guys.....room reservations, paperwork, even truck assignments.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    This is true, all those services carry a heavy admin cost. These meat mills offer opportunity for school grads, other drivers, and they have to maintain a significant umbrella of resources to make it happen on a regular basis. I believe these companies run at least 100%+ turnover per year, which means if you have 10 or 15,000 drivers, you have to hire that many every year to keep your trucks running. !!!!

4. Starboyjim

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    good one. lmao

5. Starboyjim

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Not good enough for Werner? Applied at Swift? US Express? Celadon? Knight? Plenty of opportunity.

For sure you don't know the conversations at Werner. Maybe the Dollar General is fully staffed. Maybe they're about to lose it. Maybe they are in a slump now, and aren't hiring. It might not be about you at all. I've been hearing about weird stuff lately, slow regional freight, truck shortages, new regulations, insurance cost increases...who knows, it's a crapshoot no matter what. Plenty of other jobs, but maybe not so convenient.

a_kiraly Thanks this.
  6. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc

Why did you quit being an O/O???

7. a_kiraly

a_kiraly Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2010
    carrboro,nc
    a
    Cause mama gave the ultimatum to choose between my business and her and my son. i chose family which I don't regret however that choice and some other ones put us into financial disaster and now I kinda don't see another easier way out of this trouble but going back and driving for a while. When I quit my business was actually doing well. I finally got to the point where my truck was in excellent shape(spent a lot of money on maintenance and repair) and had a really fair broker to work with so i actually started to make money but, unfortunately my lady could not handle the previous uncertainty and just snapped. unfortunately we are back to square one now, the only difference is that now as a company driver i will have at least a steady paycheck, which, if you are an owner operator sometimes can be really meager. lesson learnt, i guess

8. a_kiraly

a_kiraly Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2010
    carrboro,nc
    See, I agree with you and I would not back out of the orientation. In this case we were not even talking about orientation,only to provide more info. anyway, i will go with epes and see if it will work out. thx for all the posts

9. Drifter42

Drifter42 Hopper Heartache

Dec 4, 2011
    Seymour IN
    I think they did you a favor. I have heard nothing but good things about Epes and Nc. has a lot of good companies around. Don't let it get to you, you will find a decent gig in your area. Don't give up!

10. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    well werner fleet manager is kiss my rear to stay with them since all the new drivers are messing up too much and the are in risk of losing the gouldsboro,pa sears account

11. Starboyjim

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Ruckie, I was pulling a load up to the Eisenhower tunnel, I-70 about a month ago, there was a Werner truck/trailer parked on the westbound side just under the summit. Right behind him were 2 highway patrol cars, Werner driver in the rear seat, arms behind his back, handcuffed. No matter what happened, it didn't look good. Of course, Werner drivers aren't alone when it comes to messing up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.