Not in my backyard....

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Cat sdp, Dec 4, 2017.

1. malinorn

malinorn Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2010
    NC
    Something like this must've happened at a Sheetz gas station. I was so excited when I heard it was a truck stop. Fuel lanes for trucks, and they built a big lot for parking that could hold 30+ trucks. Then when they opened, they blocked the driveway into the huge, nice, paved parking area with cement posts. It now has overgrown with weeds and never used. A sign next to the fuel islands says "30 min parking only". Must've got shut down by the residents whose neighbourhood bordered the Sheetz. A shame, because Winston-Salem, Greensboro area have a very poor choice for truck stops.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well, you can't just "wish trucks away" if you plan on eating, dining, shopping, having nearby medical services, and fueling your cars. Removing or halting accommodations designed specifically for trucks is only going to make their (community's) "problem" worse in the long run, plus they'll be out all those additional tax dollars to boot. Half of all citizens are so stupid, it's not even funny.

Now, I will agree that there are some locations where a truck stop is probably not a great idea but there are plenty of areas where they make perfect sense except to a handful of "citizen leaders" who really would not be affected, anyway.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  4. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

This has to be more fake news! Something good being reported about the trucking industry. Has to be fake news. ;)

All news must be bad, depressing, sad, and soul destroying. Being Positive, and optimism is a thing of the past. Give up the old ways, embrace the new cold, soulless, boogyman filled world we live in today.

Sirscrapntruckalot - Smile. It pisses off grumpy people.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  5. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I wonder what happened from the meeting?

I wonder where all those prostitutes are gonna come from? I guess this person knows his town pretty well. Besides drug dealers & welfare recipients, there are quite a few willing prostitutes there to accommodate truckers as well.
    Sounds like a nice respectful little town.

6. V c2c

V c2c Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Waco Texas
    Reminds me of last night. Was at Walmart with my youngest son exchanging a game he got 4 Christmas and while in the customer service line the managers and other staff were buzzing. Next thing I hear an announcement as to all commercial vehicle drivers on property or in store need 2 leave immediately or face towing charges. There was 2-3 bobtails out there that I saw. This is a relatively new Walmart with no parking at all, I wouldn’t even try it with a Trailer period. On a side not there is another Walmart about 3 miles away which is normally where I go 2 stock truck, it is actually one of the best Walmart’s 4 trucks I have ever seen in the nation. Could park 40 trucks anytime of the day. Parking lot is prob 10 acres and straight long entrances. But anyways it just really frustrated me the annoying way they perceived and treated there CUSTOMERS!!! The gossip and bs going on between them and even some customers in line about how annoying trucks are. Yet another reason I won’t haul any loads 4 them and this was finally the last straw in me completely boycotting the chain. Will just pay more wherever I can get in on the road

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I went into the Walmart in Lexington, NE this past Sunday around 10:30 to get some groceries and a hair cut. They have lots of truck parking around on the south and north ends, and by that time, more than half of the truck parking area was visibly available.

I'm following another truck in, he ignores a sign that directs trucks to the back, and proceeds to travel down the car's normal ingress and egress route, and DIRECTLY IN FRONT of the store, to somehow navigate the maze to park in the front parking lot where a few other sleepy head trucks are still sprawled about.

Absolute stupidity on display given the situation and dedicated truck parking availability at the time. It's no wonder Walmart is fed up with the abuse. I-80 across Nebraska has plenty of truck stops and parking, and the weather and roads were fine. No reason to trash the local Walmart.

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That’s usually the same class of people that would tell hunters to go buy their meat at the grocery store so no animals are harmed. :rolleyes:

9. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio

Well thanks fer pointin that out... Now I gotta sit n stare at the durned thing fer an hour like a Wheres Waldo poster! Ugh...lol

Blackshack46 and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Flying J in Joplin a few years back? I'm guessing?

Grubby Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.