Not sure about this company.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jmarc77, Jul 3, 2022.

1. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    Thanks for the advice. I want to make clear that I'm not claiming this company is the "worst company ever", or that other people haven't put up with more BS and gotten through it. What I am saying is this is more BS than I am willing to put up with.

I'm new to trucking, but not new to working. I have no problem working my ### off when I being compensated for it. This company has not done that, in both my paycheck and in their mediocre management.

austinmike, Boondock and tscottme Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I’d say cut your losses and move on. We all have our limits of what we’re willing to put up with, there’s nothing wrong with saying these things are over your personal limit. Not sure if you’re wanting to be regional or what your goal is, but like states above there’s Maverick, Melton, and other established companies that you could reach out to. Even if they say you have to go with a trainer again it could be worth it in the long run.

4. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    That won't work. You will complain it's too big and it hurts

dunchues, JoeyJunk and GreenPete359 Thank this.
  5. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    Lmao, I'll give it to you, that was pretty funny.

6. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    Its does get better the longer you stay in trucking

7. jmarc77

Sep 17, 2021
    I believe you. I have no intention of leaving trucking. I know I'm young and inexperienced. Thats why I went into this as a company driver and not a L/P or IC. That's also why I paid for my CDL out of my own pocket- so I'm not obligated to work for anyone.

It was a lousy first week and some of that is because I haven't gotten into my own rhythm yet but a lot of it could've been avoided if this company had it's #### together. Would another company have had it together better than this one? Hopefully. Everything with this outfit feels like its been flying by the seat of my pants. Understandably there is a lot of unpredictability in trucking, its the nature of the business but this company can't seem to prepare for what is 5 minutes ahead of themselves.

I forgotfully left out the details of my "temporary truck". That was another lie they fed me. If anyone is interested, I'll divulge the details.

8. Zoltan1a

Zoltan1a Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    That's everywhere and it's good experience

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    You say it's your first week solo?

I'd give it some time before jumping ship. One week anywhere isnt enough to make a decision.

My first week solo with my previous company was a disaster. Mind you I'd been driving locally for 10 years prior, so I felt experienced enough to go OTR. What an experience THAT was.... Read on.....

Got released from training on Friday. They offer me a load for Saturday in Ohio. I love Ohio, so not thinking about my available hours, I accepted it. I get to the truck early Saturday morning, log in to the elog. Says my 10 hour break is done in 5 minutes. Like an idiot hillbilly, I figure that close enough. Obviously it wasn't and I learned when the black box says 10 hours, it has no sense of humor.

I called dispatch, to see if they can correct it, but everyone was on vacation it seemed. So they reschedule the load for Sunday, and I take another 10 hours off.
    I come in Sunday, log in, got my 10 off, but realized I only had like 10 hours left on my 70. Uh oh. That would've easily gotten the load delivered, but after some phone calls, they determined I was to finish a 34 hour reset and then go.
    Was a total screw up on my part, I own that.

Later that week, I get load from Augusta, Ga to Carlisle. Trailer had to be washed out. They tell me it's washed and ready to go. So I hook up to the tanker and set sail. I get to Augusta to find the trailer hasn't been cleaned, and almost got kicked outta that facility after blowing apart their test screen. They were not amused.

It honestly took me about 3 weeks to fall into a routine that worked. And even then, I still had some occasional issues.

Give it a bit of time. You're new to the company, they're new to you. If they're a reputable company, it'll get better. And if after 3 or 4 weeks it don't, there's lots of jobs out there. Pick wisely

Boondock Thanks this.
  10. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    The steer tire thing has been sticking with me the entire thread...

This is correct
    Its not cheap, its called being fiscally responsible.

Steer tires will always wear at different rates, usually the right side wears out first (you take left turns faster than you take right turns). With quality steer tires exceeding $500 each, why would they replace two when one is worn out? They will replace the one, and then replace the other in a few months when its worn out. Getting all the life out of the tires doesn't mean they are cheap, it means there is more money left over for drivers themselves. Lower operational costs = higher profits. Higher profits = more money available for personnel costs (pay and benefits). I would rather see a company make smart decisions like this rather than waste money on unnecessary items.

11. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I may have missed it but, if you haven’t named the company yet, let’s hear it. Guys on here can probably tell you if it’s going to get better or if it’s just a scummy outfit that’s gonna stay scummy.

All I can ascertain is that it’s a flatbed outfit and it sounds like you’re driving a Prostar.

austinmike and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.