Notarized letters explaining gaps in employment history

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by c64basic, May 29, 2013.

1. c64basic

c64basic Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    It has been mentioned in a number of threads that it's a DOT requirement that an applicant explains any gaps in employment history >30 days with a notarized letter from people who can vouch for what the applicant was doing during that time frame. My understanding is that this requirement is:
    • sort of a relic from times when a driver could lose his/her license in one state and then go get one in another and
    • is for the last 3 years for new CDL holders and 10 years for those with previous CDL experience (though that has been debated).

Here's what I'm looking to find out:

1) How many different letters do you need to provide?
    2) Are there requirements for who can provide them? Like only 1 from family and 1 from non-family (or something like that)?
    3) What is the content of the letter? Just a few sentences?
    4) Is this treated seriously or just another hoop employers have to jump through for the DOT?

And any additional info/stories about these letters is appreciated.

wyldhorses Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    I'd use a non-family member and say something like "I attest that John Smith was not working in a DOT-regulated field from 01/07-06/07. He was a homemaker during that time period."

I have a similar 2-sentence letter from a friend covering a period of self employment, and it has been accepted at 9 out of 10 companies (the exception being May Trucking)

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    CondoCruiser, c64basic and wyldhorses Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    One guy on here posted his letter said, he couldn't find full time work due to the economy, so was just doing odd jobs and simple home repairs, lawn care, etc while looking for work. Had a neighbor and a couple of family members sign it.

c64basic Thanks this.
  5. John's Girl

John's Girl Crusty Smiling Ray of Sunshine

Mar 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I wrote a letter like that for my husband. His recruiter told us what had to be included in the letter. He's been with his company since August, so I guess it was acceptable coming from his wife. :)

c64basic Thanks this.
  6. HotH2o

HotH2o Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2012
    Bunyan Springs, Colorado
    My buddy had to get a notarized letter stating that he was looking for employment during his time being unemployed. The company he went with required 2 letters.

c64basic Thanks this.
  7. cabwrecker

cabwrecker The clutch wrecker

Mar 23, 2012
    I do believe they need this for unemployment benefits in some cases.

c64basic Thanks this.
  8. c64basic

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
  9. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    There is no DOT requirement to get notarized letters explaining gaps of employment. That is purely something a particular company may require and another may not.

They are required to have on the application your last three years of employment. If you've driven before the last three years you must have all employers you drove for in the last ten years by law. There is no requirement for listing all non-driving jobs for the last 10 years.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=391.21

The carriers generally make you jump through more hoops than regulations themselves do.

c64basic Thanks this.
  10. c64basic

Jan 17, 2013
    Frozen Tundra
    Thanks DirtyBob. Anyone have any examples of companies that didn't/don't require a notarized letter for employment gaps >30 days for non-experienced CDL holders?

And - if it's not DOT required - why do so many companies require it anyway? Wouldn't it be easy enough (and more reliable) during the background check nowadays to just verify through the DOT if each applicant has held a CDL before regardless of the state?

11. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    When I started at Pride Transport they didn't require anything like that. I had a three year gap in employment in my last four years when I started. I was disabled at that time, but they didn't even require paperwork for that.

The reason they go above and beyond is because they're taking a chance on new drivers. Even with a good background and steady work history there's a good chance a driver won't make it long due to the job and the OTR lifestyle. For some, they've probably seen a higher percentage not make it that had unexplained gaps and things like that so they wanted more documentation. Who knows, maybe they think if you're willing to jump through hoops you're someone who is more likely to work hard. Maybe they just think it's funny that they can start making your life a PITA before you even start working for them.

c64basic Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.