Nox Sensor issues (Freightliner DD13)

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by jdpromo33, Nov 3, 2019.

1. jdpromo33

jdpromo33 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Hey everyone and sorry if this question is posted in wrong area. Also sorry for the long text but looking for help with a frustrating issue that we can't seen to diagnose. Im new to the forum and seeking advice from some pros.
    3 months ago had Nox sensor replaced by freightliner who said my One box filters were due a cleaning, Had DPFs baked overnight and DOC filter blown out. Truck (DD13) has been running great since. However, last week Engine light came on with the SPN 3216 FM 18 code (Inlet Nox sensor)
    Had a forced Regen done and off I went. 150 miles later the same code came back again. so I ignored it for another 250 miles and then second alert saying Air Intake system problem. Had a second Regen done and noticed Inlet manifold pressure was very high but as the regen was going on this issue reduced to normal levels. Left again and within 150 miles the NOX sensor code came back for a 3rd time.
    So had a coolant pressure test done and pressure max was 15lbs. it held pressure for the most part, dropping to about 14 in about 30 minutes. checked the EGR cooler pipes and they were dry so don't think the EGR is leaking. But each time we do the Regen it says the soot level is low but it says the Inlet manifold pressure is high until the Regen is complete.
    So 3 Regens in a week and Nox sensor code is still there and we can't figure what the issue is.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Im about to bypass the who system and be done with it all.
    Thanks and sorry for the ramble

2. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    so you think if you do parked regen Nox code will disappear ? No, sir. It will come back. Stop doing regens. Get somebody to fix it.
    What was the second code?

3. jdpromo33

jdpromo33 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    We did the regens to get me home. Trust me I realize that was just a bandaid approach but 3 techs couldn't figure out what was causing the code to come up with a low soot level reading, so we did a regen to get me back on the road to home. The second one didn't throw a code. it just said Active fault. Air intake system failure 25% derate but it ran normally.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    get that second code. I will help you. You said Doc inlet pressure was high and after regen the pressure dropped down ? Any noises coming out from -box during regen or during driving?

5. jdpromo33

jdpromo33 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Unfortunately I didn’t get the second code but as far as noise yes there was a loud rattling sound coming from the one box when I was climbing hills under load. I assume that was back pressure in the one box due to the manifold pressure being too high. However the soot level readings on the computer said low!! That’s what’s confusing

6. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Air intake failure.
    Saw some pictures on the Detroit forum of collapsed intake boot on turbo caused by an air filter that was completely clogged.

7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Not sure if this same thing I had. I had 2011 truck with low NoX conversion. They replaced sensors at first and the same code keep coming back. In the end the DOC filters in emissions box were bad those can't be replaced. TheThey tried a special cleaning or crazy long Regen to try clean the DOC filters. The just destroyed them, and cracked them so emissions box had rattling sound. The only fix was emissions box had to be replaced.

8. jdpromo33

jdpromo33 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    we looked at the filter but its a new filter not even 3 months old

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  9. jdpromo33

jdpromo33 Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Yeah if I have to replace the one box Im gonna delete the whole thing. New one box is about $10K

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.