Numerous engine problems - Kenworth

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by snafuforyou1, Jul 15, 2020.

1. snafuforyou1

snafuforyou1 Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2020
    Anyone else having issues with trucks with the newer technology?

Other truck in the fleet are Peterbilt and International no Kenworths. I purchased 3 new trucks from Kenworth in 2016. All 3 trucks have had numerous and I mean numerous issues from day 1. Harnesses, all 6 injectors went bad and needed replacement within the first 2 months of purchase, sensors, speedometer head, signal lights installed wrong (left signal would go on when signalling right) AC not working the first month, doser valve replacement, PM filter problems just to name a few. The list goes on. An engine light would go on and it would be repaired. 2 days later engine light on again same truck it would be repaired and 2 days later engine light was on again same truck. The trucks seem to be in the shop more than I have them on the road. The trucks are used for local deliveries within 50 miles - city driving, The trucks have been on the road less than 5 years and have less than 70,000 miles. We purchased a service contract with Kenworth and Kenworth has done all the scheduled maintenance and repairs as recommended. However, we continue to have major repairs to these trucks. My truck maintenance budget has skyrocketed since these trucks were purchased.
    Is this a common issue with the trucks with the PM filter technology? Any feed back would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Which engine?
    How heavy are you running?

4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Replace the whole emissions wiring harness and the problems will go away. Couple that i had and ones my O/O's had was the only thing that fixed them. Paccar wouldn't replace them under warranty, but still cheaper than replacing sensors that aren't bad.

Vampire Thanks this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I would think city driving would be hard on the emissions side because the DPF filter need to stay hot like 800f to keep clean and the truck has to going over like 40MPH to do the region when driving.

Pittsburgh Power has a fuel additive that everyone says really works, most of that stuff has always been snake oil. It burns the fuel at lower temperature so Less soot to clog up the emissions sensors and DPF filter. It's not cheap but you only need like 5oz per tank. They can also change the engine tune to run better then the factory settings. They can do that remotely vs going to see them in person. The kind specialize in fixing the stuff dealers can't figure out. They have free call in radio show every week on Satellite radio. People call in and they try help fix engine problems. No many shops will do that today.

Pittsburgh Power - Diesel Truck Parts, Service, and Repairs

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  6. snafuforyou1

Jul 15, 2020
    The wiring harness was replaced on 2 of the 3 trucks already but problems continue. 1 truck MX-13 engine 2 trucks PX-9 engine - injectors were also replaced.
    I'm beginning to believe the technology doesn't work very long as designed and has a high failure rating or the "certified" mechanics haven't been trained on how to diagnose or repair correctly.

7. Jax Graddy

Jax Graddy Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2020
    Georgia
    snafu - Would you say the MX-13 has been better or worse than the PX's? I'm interested because I'm on the fence about buying a 2017 KW with MX-13.

And are these trucks used locally or OTR?

8. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    The engines are alright you usually get emission system errors with these paccar trucks. They pull like crap though if you’re loaded 35k+ everyone is going to pass you up the hill except maybe the containers with the tired engines.

9. snafuforyou1

Jul 15, 2020
    Jax - we do local deliveries - MX-13 is a bigger engine with more power but been having same issues with both engines.

I would not purchase another Kenworth when looking for a new truck they will not make my list and the owner told me do not even consider another Kenworth. Maybe they will work OTR but for city driving they have been nothing but trouble. If it was 1 truck that would be one thing but it's all 3 Kenworths. The 3 Kenworths are costing me more to maintaing then my other 7 trucks combined and are in the shop more often. That is my experience - was wondering if any other fleets were having the same issues. One of my customers mentioned he was replacing all his Kenworths for the same reason.

10. snafuforyou1

Jul 15, 2020
    We run the trucks maybe twice a monthe at capacity but usually run then at half capacity.

11. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    This is your problem then. You are having lots of trouble with the emission system's because they are not getting hot enough to do their job properly. The hot the systems are kept the better they work and less issues they have.

AModelCat and daf105paccar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.